Outdoor bike storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How much did that cost, compared to buying the bags and mixing yourself?
I can't find the exact figure but I think it was £125 for 1m3 - I didn't check the costs against mixing myself - once I saw that it wasn't actually that much more than hiring a concrete mixer for a day (and I certainly didn't fancy mixing that much by hand).

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I can't find the exact figure but I think it was £125 for 1m3 - I didn't check the costs against mixing myself - once I saw that it wasn't actually that much more than hiring a concrete mixer for a day (and I certainly didn't fancy mixing that much by hand).

That's an option then, thanks. I don't think there's a cheap way of getting what I'm looking for, it's either a big shed for storing bikes, mowers and other garden stuff, or separate bike storage and some lockable garden cabinets - both options seem about the same price though, sheds aren't as expensive as I initially thought they might be.

D

Deleted member 26715

Around here there are some ready mix companies that mix onsite, they turn up with the cement & gravel mix separate & then only mix & charge for what you want, you don't have to buy a full 1m2

Mike_P

Guru
Keter do one, Costco had them for around £250 not long ago I think it iwas this one https://www.keter.com/uk_en/catalog.../s/msdl-17204255grande-store-shed/category/5/ but it might be a bit tight for 29er's
Have a Keter storage unit for the Lawnmower and other oddments including spare bike tyres and the hinge bit that fits onto the holed peg for a lock to fit through has broken away from the lid. Sort of tied in place but if anyone forced it would easily give so I would question the long term security of it.

D

Deleted member 26715

Have a Keter storage unit for the Lawnmower and other oddments including spare bike tyres and the hinge bit that fits onto the holed peg for a lock to fit through has broken away from the lid. Sort of tied in place but if anyone forced it would easily give so I would question the long term security of it.
Agreed but it depends what kind of area the OP lives in, our area is quite good, I was going to buy one & then use a wire rope to fix all the bikes together, however I was overruled, currently mine are just outside against a wall with covers over them

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
In all honesty I'm not super fussed about security, some of these things cost more than my bike does, it's more to keep the weather off and stop someone just walking off with it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
As regards the choice of full height sheds or below-shoulder height storage cabinets, one thing to consider is footprint. If you don't have a huge back garden, a tall shed with a smaller footprint will hold just as much stuff as a couple of storage lockers that aren't so tall. OK, bikes parked on their wheels are generally no more than 3' 6" high, but they can be stood on end to save floor space, or the space above a parked bike in a shed can be used for shelving, or to hang wheels & tyres from.
Out in a front garden, line of sight and keeping a low visual profile is really going to matter. Front walls tend to be no higher than 3-4 ft, so a storage locker of a similar height is not going to be so obtrusive, and won't block the light out of your front room window like a shed could.

Mike_P

Guru
Got fed up of the hybrid being in the way everytime I try to get anything out of the garden shed so ordered another Asguard shed, the pitched roof 2 bike one to go where the existing flat roof 2 bike one is. The flat roof one will then go on the outside of the locked gate to the side of the house, which will probably mean dismantling it and reassembly. Plenty of time to ponder that and work out a base for it as they are quoting 13-15 weeks for the delivery:sad: Then there will be proper accommodation for the three bikes with space for another at least, have read where someone got three bikes into the pitched roof shed. Maybe a MTB as I have not bothered with Velosquares due to the amount accessible by tracks that would really overstretch the hybrid.

Last edited:
I use these in the back yard, four bikes sorted for £19 off Amazon

Mike_P

Guru
Cancelled the order, turns out the pitched roof 2 bike shed is oddly only available with door hinged on the right hand side of the door which would be problematic both for maneouvring bikes into and out of it and it being blown shut sharply by the prevailing wind. With regard to the flat roof one they have been very negative when I asked if one could either be supplied with a floor or the floor of the pitched roof one provided

"...we can’t manufacture one for it so it will let in lots of rainwater which you need to be aware of. There is also a chance in hot weather if it rains heavy then the water will evaporate and will form condensation on the inside of the lid so you also need to be aware of that." That condensation issue is not particularly highlighted on the web site, it's been a problem in cold weather more than hot weather in my experience and I have now got a Desiccant Dehumidifier. The idea was instead of moving the current one get a new one on a base so that plastic shed base parts could be used which would resolve a number of drainage issues.

Had some an attempted robbery a few years ago despite the locked gate so not risking any bike not in a secure environment.
Thats worrying, mine is locked gate but beloved Cannondale M500 is in the yard as no space in house, posh road and gravel bikes get that treatment. Buying a bigger house might resolve the issue?

Top Bottom