Outdoor bike storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Is there any good outdoor bike storage that isn't a shed? I've seen a few but they tend to hold the bikes sideways meaning you have to take them all out if you want the one at the back.

I guess one drawback is you can put anything in a shed, whereas a bike storage unit is much more difficult to use as anything else if your needs change in the future.

Any DIY solutions anyone has come up with?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Asgard seem to be the best, and they do have bigger 'sheds' for a price, where you could possibly wall hang bikes.

I've just put down a concrete pad and sheffield stands with a wire that runs through to our house alarm system and triggers the 'chime' on the door when it is disconnected (to get a bike out) - or if we're out / upstairs sleeping then it triggers the main house alarm (with phone dialler). It was a little lock down project; I'll see how it goes in the winter, it may stay as it is, but if its a faff to get bikes in and out as is then I'll apply for planning permission (its in front of the house and thus any 'structure' needs planning permission) and build a little shelter with lockable doors over it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gXsrad3xwCf1NFwF8

vickster

Legendary Member
Asgard excellent (I have the 4x29er version just to give a bit more space for 4 roadbikes). Highly recommended and they did a fantastic job fitting. I did have to have a new concrete base laid for it. Reckon the whole lot cost about a grand about 5 years ago so not diy but certainly worth the money. Insurance approved which is important as it houses about 7k of bikes when full

Mike_P

Guru
I have the end opening two bike Asgard shelter which was easy enough to assemble although the neighbours then kitten which had watched the shed going together through the fence didn't half shift when I dropped the top on^_^ The cat thinks it wonderful using it a step for getting over the fence. The one issue I have with it is the amount of condensation that forms at times on the inside. They seem to have a sale on at the moment.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Thanks for these, the Asgard are probably too expensive for my uses though. Any other solutions that aren't just 'wooden shed', because at the moment that's probably what I'm heading towards.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I've just put down a concrete pad and sheffield stands with a wire that runs through to our house alarm system and triggers the 'chime' on the door when it is disconnected (to get a bike out) - or if we're out / upstairs sleeping then it triggers the main house alarm (with phone dialler). It was a little lock down project; I'll see how it goes in the winter, it may stay as it is, but if its a faff to get bikes in and out as is then I'll apply for planning permission (its in front of the house and thus any 'structure' needs planning permission) and build a little shelter with lockable doors over it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gXsrad3xwCf1NFwF8

I might need a solid level base at some point - the concrete pad, is that something someone can do without experience, or is it a tricky thing to get right, like plastering?

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I like the look of the Asgard storage, would it be ok to put it on a slabbed area that an old shed was on? Reviews say an even base is preferable. Easy to build?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
the concrete pad, is that something someone can do without experience, or is it a tricky thing to get right, like plastering?

It ain't rocket science, the important bit is the prep must be done properly so on the day you pick to lay the concrete all you have to do is mix it, shovel it in and screed it off so it's smooth. Getting the shuttering put together in advance and making sure it's level and you have all the stuff you need to hand is 90% of the job. Making sure you have actually got enough aggregates and cement, plus any additives you are going to use, and a tarpaulin on standby to lay over the top in case it pisses down after laying before it's gone off.
I did my 10' x 6' 8" x 6" tool shed base in one day, mixing it up by hand with a shovel on a sheet of old plywood - no new-fangled cement mixer! It was hard work and once you start you can't stop, you just have to crack on until it's all done as you don't want the first stuff down going off before the last bit is laid. I used some sort of retarder/plasticiser additive to slow it down so it was always being laid wet-on-wet. I had also got some steel weldmesh out of a skip prior to doing the job and used that as reinforcement for the slab. Also put a bit of well smashed up brick/concrete hardcore into the hole to reduce the volume of aggregates needed. My sledge hammer was busy the day before!

Mike_P

Guru
I like the look of the Asgard storage, would it be ok to put it on a slabbed area that an old shed was on? Reviews say an even base is preferable. Easy to build?
Mine is on paving, an end opening two bike one which has no base so it's possibly less fussy on its grounding provided the sides and solid end are relatively level. The condensation issue I mentioned mine suffers from is probably due to it being next to low (7 brick and 3 brick) walls, Asgard say to site them 1m from a wall which would have really screwed up my back yard so looks like I will have to invest in an appropriate dehumidifier. As posted above it was reasonably easy to build, worth ordering with it a can of touch up paint should a part get chipped accidentally, and also to touch up any scratch marks from a cat using it as a jumping step:sad:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The Asgard guys who fitted mine were very grateful for my paved plinth, but they did say that as long as it’s pretty even and solid and big/deep enough, most bases would suffice.
mine has a metal base, solidly bolted to the plinth. It took two guys who fit them day in day out a good couple of hours to do if I recall

I might need a solid level base at some point - the concrete pad, is that something someone can do without experience, or is it a tricky thing to get right, like plastering?

It depends how you want your surface - if your formwork is level and you're just trying to get parallel with that and an 'ok' surface (for this job a bit of texture is necessary otherwise it would get dangerously slippy in the wet) then with a bit of wood to do the leveling it was straightforward enough (this was on a slope and I could only get to one side so that made it slightly trickier) - it was certainly easier than plastering. On the other hand I suspect if you were aiming for a polished concrete 'feature' floor in a building then you're into plastering levels of difficulty!

Also I cheated on the concrete (having mixed it by hand before...) and bought from Barrow Mix who do small quantities (1m3 and up) - they simply turned up, mixed into barrows and tipped into my prepared site and left me to level it. Be warned though they arrived and early and had the lot poured in about 5 minutes - so make sure you're ready!

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Also I cheated on the concrete (having mixed it by hand before...) and bought from Barrow Mix who do small quantities (1m3 and up) - they simply turned up, mixed into barrows and tipped into my prepared site and left me to level it. Be warned though they arrived and early and had the lot poured in about 5 minutes - so make sure you're ready!

How much did that cost, compared to buying the bags and mixing yourself?

Top Bottom