Outer chainring pointy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paxterg

Veteran
The teeth on my outer chainring have become pointy, the chain often slips off onto the small ring when under load. Can the outer ring be changed? It a 10 speed SLX M675

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
Excellent thanks for the link fossyant. Ive just realised it says HG-X chain only on the chainring. I put a KMX chain on last time, would this effect the performance?

fossyant

PS your's are 4 arm aren't they.

My older LX comes in 4 and 5 arm. I'm the older 5 arm so have a bit of a search for M570's. Got one spare in the parts bin.

You can also use third party rings in thesame Shimano BCD (bolt circle diameter).

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
yeah 4 arm, that's the cheapest I can find for the the SLX. Do I have to remove the crankset from the bike to fit the new outer ring?

fossyant

The teeth on my outer chainring have become pointy, the chain often slips off onto the small ring when under load. Can the outer ring be changed? It a 10 speed SLX M675

Just realised it's probably the same chainset that's on MrsF's bike - 2 x 10 - much cheaper than my SRAM outer rings, £50 is a cheap buy, nearly £90 RRP - stupid BCD size....

fossyant

You'll need a plastic bearing preload tool, and some allen keys to undo the non drive arm. The rings are quite deep, so may need the crankset off.

Top Bottom