Oval This Morning (28 May) - Witnesses Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
clarion

clarion

Guru
@dondare: I agree entirely.

@Rob3rt: I got shouty, which wasn't good. But I saw no point in hitting the guy back. First time my priority was to get the Police summoned, which was how he got to throw my bike as I only had one hand available.

Oddly enough, last time I needed to 999, for another chap who was left-hooked and ended up with a broken pelvis, I was also assaulted by a driver - that time, by hitting me in the face with a rolled-up newspaper, which was pretty funny in retrospect. Good thing he did, though. It was only when I decided to press charges for assault that the Met discovered the file had been lost...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
clarion said:
@dondare: I agree entirely.

@Rob3rt: I got shouty, which wasn't good. But I saw no point in hitting the guy back. First time my priority was to get the Police summoned, which was how he got to throw my bike as I only had one hand available.

Oddly enough, last time I needed to 999, for another chap who was left-hooked and ended up with a broken pelvis, I was also assaulted by a driver - that time, by hitting me in the face with a rolled-up newspaper, which was pretty funny in retrospect. Good thing he did, though. It was only when I decided to press charges for assault that the Met discovered the file had been lost...

Well yes hitting people is obviously a bad move, you did very well to keep your cool.

I was loosing my cool and close to just flying off the handle when I got hit by a car at the fact the driver was acting aggresive, aggresively accusing me of being at fault, refusing to provide details and refusing to accept liability for his actions (pretty proud I kept it to a limit of elevated volume and swearing tbh). I am not the best in these situations, and I definately respect people like you that manage to keep it cool. The moment this dude you have encountered touched you or your bike, that would be the moment I'd have most likely went wading in with the haymakers. To be honest if I had witnessed this or a similar incident, I'd have probly clocked him a few times in the process of defending the injured cyclist and detaining the moron.

Origamist

Legendary Member
clarion said:
Still waiting for the Police OIC to call me...

Got one witness agreed to give a statement. One more pending.

I'm sure there are more out there...

Glad you've got one witness and possibly another. Have you compalined to TFL/PCO yet, or are you waiting for the Met "investigation" to run its course?

My experience of dealing with the Met has taught me that you have to be pro-active and persistent to make any progress. Log all calls/correspondence - if they're useless, contact your MP and make a complaint to:
https://secure.met.police.uk/complaints/

Have you taken legal advice, if not, I'd recommend it.

This appeal for witnesses is truly shocking:

http://cyclistneedshelp.blogspot.com/

OP
OP
clarion

clarion

Guru
Yeah. That case puts mine in perspective. Though I hope that, had the cabbie been trying to throttle me rather than just push me around, some of the cyclists coming past would have stopped and sorted him out.

Police not very responsive. Case not logged as an assault (yet). Trying to contact the Traffic Justice Unit dumps you into a full voicemail, even if you are calling about a fatal incident (I tried that option).

I am still hoping for a contact from the Police before I start any other routes.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'd second the advice to be very pro-active and persistent with the police. IME, once you eventually get someone to take it seriously, things will proceed apace, but you may have to work quite hard to get to that stage.

Ring the nearest police station to the incident location and ask to speak to the Duty Officer.

I saw the blog linked by origamist and at first I thought there had been a terrible development (I though you were the blogger!!);)

Good luck with the witnesses and the police!

Molecule Man

Sounds horrible, hope you are okay. Good luck with the Police!
I'm saddened by the lack of assistance you are getting from the Police, quite differerent to my recent experience. I was pushed off my bike by someone who then drove off, I reported it to the Police with the car number plate, and within two weeks I was asked if I wanted to attend an identity parade. I didn't have any witnesses, though I think the Police could have spoken to a couple of people living near where it happened.
Don't give up, sounds like this driver needs to be taught a severe lesson.

Origamist

Legendary Member
clarion said:
Yeah. That case puts mine in perspective. Though I hope that, had the cabbie been trying to throttle me rather than just push me around, some of the cyclists coming past would have stopped and sorted him out..

I have broken up fisticuffs between a taxi driver and cyclist previously (Clapham South 2007) and would not hesitate to intervene again.

clarion said:
Police not very responsive. Case not logged as an assault (yet). Trying to contact the Traffic Justice Unit dumps you into a full voicemail, even if you are calling about a fatal incident (I tried that option).

I am still hoping for a contact from the Police before I start any other routes.

Keep at it - let's hope they don't lose the file...

OP
OP
clarion

clarion

Guru
I can't believe how this is being handled. I've had to complain, but that sounds like it might speed things up.

More witnesses always welcome. Hundreds of cyclists must have gone past while this was going on - there are a lot of people who saw what was going on. Were you one? Get in touch, and I'll let you know what you need to do to get in touch with the Police & help get justice.

Origamist

Legendary Member
IME, a complaint is often always required to expedite a Met investigation, just try not to come across as too niggly...

Keep a record of every phonecall, discussion etc.

Good luck...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
clarion said:
I got a call at 8am today to tell me they hadn't got any further. lol

Just reading this thread & glad you are ok. Makes me appreciate living in the countryside & having run ins with motons are at a minimum.
I'd really keep hassling the police, otherwise they can just leave it to drag on & dissapear. We suffered an arson attack in 1996 & there was one witness who could put a suspect at the location at the right time (3am) It was nearly 6 months before the police officer on the case contacted the witness to see if they could identify the 'suspect' in a line up, but because of the time lapsed the witness wasn't sure he could, so the case was dropped & no action was taken :wacko: Really we should have been more proactive in chasing up the police, but were too busy chasing up insurance & builders :biggrin:

OP
OP
clarion

clarion

Guru
Small bump for this thread for anyone who may not have seen it. The Police claim that the fare in the cab was an 'independent' witness (there's precedent for her not being, what with her contract relationship with the suspect etc), and want to sweep it under the carpet. I've been in touch with the CTC, who are prepared to help, but more witnesses are still needed.

If you saw anything that morning, however brief, please get in touch.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I hope the CTC will be able to help, clarion, but if the fare is supporting the driver's version of events or claiming it was "six of one"... you might struggle to get any kind of justice without further witnesses.

It might be worth spending an hour at Oval tube and asking cyclists who pull into the ASL reservoir if they saw anything last week.

I'd def go to TFL/PCO route if you don't get any joy with the Met as they are now more helpful.

Top Bottom