Over a certain age in England? Book your Covid vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I’ve had covid .. hospitalised ... rough
I’ve had my 3 jabs ...
But are the government now saying they don’t work ??
Otherwise why are we facing more and more restrictions ?
??
x 2 AZ .. No reaction
x 1 Pfizer ... Bad reaction ..... very ill for a week ... better now ^_^
No, they aren't saying they don't work.

But it takes time to get everybody boosted. And it is only England that is facing more restrictions, which just brings them to the same level as the rest of the UK was already.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I’ve had covid .. hospitalised ... rough
I’ve had my 3 jabs ...
??
x 2 AZ .. No reaction
x 1 Pfizer ... Bad reaction ..... very ill for a week ... better now ^_^
Nope, the news seems to be that the booster does restore a decent level of protection against serious illness from Omicron.
That protection seems to be lacking if you've only had primary jabs.
And don't rely on a prior infection (eg delta), as that doesn't do much either.

So boost, boost, boost. And hope that the booster provides lasting protections.

Meanwhile, omicron seems to be exceeding worst case scenarios for infectiousness, and seems to be on course to overtake Delta in days, and cause the largest wave of infections yet, all by end of this month.

Omicron is still said to be milder than delta. How much milder?
The NHS is already under considerable pressure from seasonal factors, delta, and the massive backlog of conventional disease.
How will it cope if a massive wave causes more hospitalisations, potentially whilst staff levels are falling due to illness too?
How will a struggling care sector cope under the same pressures?

Pretty sure that boris will do everything he can to avoid another lockdown, but he can't ignore the risk to the NHS, so i fully expect a raft of new restrictions to be imposed, trying to balance the economic damage with public health. Could get really messy, who'd want to be in government now?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We are facing more restrictions because Omicron's increased infectiousness means loaaaads more cases and we don't yet know what proportion will need hospital care and whether that will be more or less than capacity. Nothing to do with the vaccines not working or whatever. Not difficult to grasp, really, is it?

markemark

Über Member
2 jabs has lower resistance to symptomatic infection. No data on severe infection yet but anecdotal and lab evidence that it’ll hold up.
Those who’ll suffer will be the frail and the un jabbed. Those with 3 will mostly be fine. Those with 2 may get a mild infection.

mjr

2 jabs has lower resistance to symptomatic infection. No data on severe infection yet but anecdotal and lab evidence that it’ll hold up.
Those who’ll suffer will be the frail and the un jabbed. Those with 3 will mostly be fine. Those with 2 may get a mild infection.
BBC News TV flipper this morning says 75% prevented from getting severe illness by 2+booster.

Covid: Omicron data prompts fresh call to get booster jab - BBC News – https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59619224

PaulB

Legendary Member
What's causing these unnecessarily long queues on streets up and down the country is the needless requirement for people to wait for 15 minutes after the jab. When someone's having the same jab for the second or even third time and shown no adverse reaction (other than sore arm or slight malaise the following day) on the previous occasion(s) then it's petty-minded foolishness to insist on this over-cautious mollycoddling. In-out, get through the numbers faster.

lazybloke

What's causing these unnecessarily long queues on streets up and down the country is the needless requirement for people to wait for 15 minutes after the jab. When someone's having the same jab for the second or even third time and shown no adverse reaction (other than sore arm or slight malaise the following day) on the previous occasion(s) then it's petty-minded foolishness to insist on this over-cautious mollycoddling. In-out, get through the numbers faster.
An advantage of the large vaccination hubs is plenty of room for people to sit and recover afterwards, although I notice people don't wait long, and many just walk straight out. I don't see any enforcement of recovery time.

PaulB

Legendary Member
An advantage of the large vaccination hubs is plenty of room for people to sit and recover afterwards, although I notice people don't wait long, and many just walk straight out. I don't see any enforcement of recovery time.
There is no enforcement but this is causing a backlog. It was raised by a backbencher in Parliament last week and he was promised it would be looked into - ha! People at every stage of my booster jab last week agreed with me and said they could do three or four times the number if this unnecessary wait was abolished. You may have seen plenty of room for people to sit and recover (from what?) but there were fifteen seats in the one I went to (a former Next shop) and that number then determined the volume of injectees coming through. People were having to stand outside in a long queue in the freezing wind (it was covered so the rain wasn't felt, but others will get wet).

alicat

Legendary Member

I queried the need to wait and was told it was a condition of their licence. I was happy to wait because I had a different vaccine for the booster. I didn't fancy the crowded waiting room so I waited afterwards in the corridor.

Alex321

Veteran
There is no enforcement but this is causing a backlog. It was raised by a backbencher in Parliament last week and he was promised it would be looked into - ha! People at every stage of my booster jab last week agreed with me and said they could do three or four times the number if this unnecessary wait was abolished. You may have seen plenty of room for people to sit and recover (from what?) but there were fifteen seats in the one I went to (a former Next shop) and that number then determined the volume of injectees coming through. People were having to stand outside in a long queue in the freezing wind (it was covered so the rain wasn't felt, but others will get wet).
Obviously, it will vary by centre, but the one where I had my booster, the delays were all while waiting for cubicles/nurses to be available for your injection. There was never a point during the 30 minutes I was there, when they even got near to filling all the recovery area seats. The main waiting for the jab area, the seats were very nearly all full.

I don't think the 15 minute wait time (which wasn't enforced) was contributing to any delays at that centre (Cardiff Bayside).

And I think most people round here are getting a different jab for the booster. Most people here had AZ for the first two doses, and it is Pfizer for the booster.

mjr

Obviously, it will vary by centre, but the one where I had my booster, the delays were all while waiting for cubicles/nurses to be available for your injection. There was never a point during the 30 minutes I was there, when they even got near to filling all the recovery area seats. The main waiting for the jab area, the seats were very nearly all full.
I saw the same at Wisbech Horsefair yesterday. From memory, there was a long queue feeding 4 checkin desks feeding a waiting area of 24 seats (4 queues of 8, but only 3 seemed to be used), feeding 8 cubicles (all in use AFAICT) with an observation area of 40 (5 lines of 8) seats. The wait seemed to be for cubicles, which occasionally caused one of the 4 queues of 8 to fill up, which the checkin desks then seemed to wait for. There was never a time during my 25-minute visit when the observation area was full.

The 15 minutes was not enforced, but you had to walk through the observation area seating anyway and there was a nice big clock at the front and I had something to read anyway after the long delay at my second jab elsewhere, so why not wait? Better safe than sorry.

I do have suspicions about the motives of those pushing for removal of the 15 minute observation time. Could they be hoping to increase the number of adverse reactions not handled well, to undermine the generally-positive UK public view of vaccines? Or maybe they are just out of touch and don't realise that the limitation seems to be of vaccinators and cubicles, or don't want to acknowledge that for some reason (maybe because the NHS would want more money to pay more vaccinators).

lazybloke

If they want to maximise the jabs and attract spontaneous walk-ins, the popup sites like old Next shops are vital to the vaccination effort - but the queues really need to be much shorter.

Personally I still prefer the big vaccination hubs. Off to Sandown park on Saturday for my booster. Not as convenient as a local popup centre, but probably a quicker door-to-door time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom