Over size Ceramic Pully wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a query I wonder if any of you have any experience of these as recently saw an article on them saying that friction was reduced considerable and in the chain tension between the pully and chainwheel is this just another gimmick to get us to buy more bike bits Though looking at the price of these all the oversize ones are in the three figure bracket any thoughts any one? Thanks :wacko:

CXRAndy

Guru
Overpriced bumph. The ceramic speed may have some advantages, but the absolute black, plastic junk imho

boydj

Legendary Member
Marginal gains - and very expensive ones at that. Possibly save a watt or two which might be noticed by an elite cyclist saving a few seconds over 50 miles.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No fugly parts on bike, so don't fit them.

Good morning,
It did intrigue me that Shimano, SRAM and Campy did nothing in this direction.
Ceramic Speed seem to be claiming a reduction in power needed when riding at around 250 watts of a bit less than 1%.

Given that this is best case I can see why the big three aren't rushing to join the fray.:smile:

Given their size Ceramic Speed can set up production runs of 500 or 1,000 units and pass the cost of such a small run onto the customer, hence the £300 price tag, or zero if you are a pro being given it.

For the big three if they offer something, they need to offer it in sufficient volumes that there won't be complaints based on the the lack of availability, but before that they need to have management meetings, loads of research and testing and then commission a production line. The downside of mass production.

Jockey wheels have always been small and most of us take it for granted that this is the correct size, so let's mock someone who suggests otherwise. Yet if they are truly a better idea then why not roll them out when the company is ready, but equally why rush as it is such a small gain?

I imagine that once you start looking at changing something that "has always been done this way" you start to question other things, should the teeth be deeper to help shifting, how much movement should there be in the bearings, should the cage flex or be totally rigid, would three wheels be better? At which point the team gets pulled off onto the core details for the 2025 version.

So I would be expecting large jockey wheels from the big boys sometime in the near future on top of the range groupsets once they work out what actually works and what is marketing hype. Even if they find no advantage it may still be worth it as a marketing exercise to imply that the other two makers are behind the times.

Bye

Ian

Drago

Legendary Member
How much do they weigh? Reduced friction is one thing, but if these things have greater mass then they may provide greater inertial losses.

Top Bottom