Overshoes are a LIE!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I don't like overshoes either. You need gaffer tape around the top ends or wear trousers with them.

yello

Based on my admittedly limited experience, I would think it is near on impossible to keep your feet dry when it is raining.

Overshoes keep water out to a point but it's damage limitation really. For me, and as bonj says, their purpose is really to keep the feet warm. Plus, I have yet to read any review of a winter shoe that states the feet are kept 100% dry after a significant length of time. As for waterproof socks, if they did work I think they'd probably be boil-in-the-bag such is the nature of the fabrics.

Personally, I just accept that my feet will get wet sometimes and so long as they are warm then I don't overly mind.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
My Altura Night Vision overshoes kept my feet dry and warm during a 3 hour cycle in the rain yesterday. Including stomping around over some grass too.

I tend to wear them now as a version of cycle clips over normal trousers as I do get cold feet (cycling feet-first) and they're warm, reflective and waterproof if it happens to rain.

gdean

Notsoblue said:
I have a pair of Pearl Izumi Shines, and a couple of my mates have some Endura overshoes, but on a recent LEJOG they simply didn't keep our feet dry for longer than an hour in the rain. Does anyone have any overshoes that actually keep their feet dry?

"Back in the day" we used pull-on neoprene diving boots with a cut-out for cleat xx(

Graham

rnscotch

Veteran
I have a pair of Gore waterproof socks, and they suck. They do a good job keeping you dry after it has rained but if you have them on when it is raining your feet end up soaking.

yenrod

The nature of overshoes as far as I can see is that they keep the foot dry to a point THEN warm...

As, if your wet AND cold it can be VERY VERY serious.

I know, ive experienced it.

Its better being wet and warm.

Though, I feel that it is possible to design an overshoe to keep your feet totally dry, yet just warm enough but whether that product IS designed: is different kettle of chips!

yenrod

For the winter i may try and get some thin'ish wool socks a I dont have much space in my shoes which im gonna use for riding in colder situations.

yenrod

I used to ride thru' the winter, in the week, with a road club close to me and some bloke used to turn up WITHOUT overshoes - how he managed it I just DONT KNOW: 2x pints of what that man had in his bottles ! :smile:

Joe

Über Member
Overshoes are alright, better than nothing! What annoys me is the squeeking they make when rubbing on the crank!
If I had the moolah I'd snap up some of those Sidi winter boots...I bet they are amazing!

Will1985

Über Member
In my experience, overshoes are good at keeping your feet warm and shoes clean if there is a bit of slush or mud on the road.

They do not work well if you are cycling through heavy rain or standing water (in SPDs at least) - on a 3 mile ride last month from Birmingham city centre to home, my feet were soaked through and on getting home, a stream of water came out of the shoe when I tipped it upside down. No idea how it gets in...presumably at the SPD fixing point?

bonj2

Joe said:
Overshoes are alright, better than nothing! What annoys me is the squeeking they make when rubbing on the crank!
If I had the moolah I'd snap up some of those Sidi winter boots...I bet they are amazing!

northwave ones are great, still goretex - and only 90 quid rather than 150. Just paying for the name with sidi.

Tynan

Veteran
i'm going to guess that bent riders get better performance from overshoes because of the different leg/foot angle

Top Bottom