Overshoes...my new best friend!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had one of those moments today when you find something that's brilliant and you wondered why you never tried it before. Got my new pair of overshoes over the weekend...the ones that are on sale at the moment in the winter bundle from Planet X.
Weather was awful today and I nearly drove in but thought I'd give it a go in the torrential rain....worst thing in the world is water collecting in my shoes...I hate it...overshoes on...it felt like I was cycling with water bottles around my feet and my shoes were almost dry when I got to school...if anything my feet got a bit too hot were a bit sweaty!
Anyone else find them amazing?

Also, is there anything else out there that might change my cycling life??? If so let me know...the credit card is waiting
biggrin.gif

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh yes love quality overshoes. Got some PU coated BBB ones that are waterproof - even used them in the -15 and 1 foot of snow last year. Wondered why one foot was getting cold, looked down and the toe of the overshoe had flipped up.

For weekends/road rides (non-commute) I've got some thin Northwave waterproof ones - great, but not hard wearing enough for regular use !

Matty

They are ace - wet or more accurately cold feet is about the worst thing ever, nothing you can do to combat - wiggling toes doesn't really do it!!

Which do you recommend Fossy?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
one question for you all having never used overshoes is what size do i go for that will go over my normal size 9 trainers shoes that i use to commute in ? as all ones i have seen only state suitable for cycling shoes

martint235

Dog on a bike
one question for you all having never used overshoes is what size do i go for that will go over my normal size 9 trainers shoes that i use to commute in ?

XL covers size 11 so probably those. Not sure what size L covers.

Sent while following my Garmin's instructions

Radman

Wore my Endura 500 mtb overshoes today in all the rain fantastic to get to work and have dry shoes
best twenty pounds ive spent for a while.

martint235

Dog on a bike
We won't see you for a few days then.

Probably not.

Got rid of the stupid Tapatalk signature now

mrmacmusic

Veteran
My experience today with the Planet-X Overshoes was the complete opposite! Was very disappointed to find my shiny new SPD shoes were soaked when I arrived at work following an hour-long slog in the wet, wild and windy weather this morning! Of course, perhaps Scottish rain is just wetter? :biggrin:

I've since established that they're only water resistant (no surprise there then) and am planning to invest in something truly waterproof (Endura Luminite have been recommended in my other post), because, well, did I mention Scottish weather already...? :whistle:

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Mrmacmusic...was really interesting that we had very different experiences (I replied to one of your threads and went for the same deal that you did as it seemed so good!) Must admit that the weather wasn't the worst I've ever had (I lived in Edinburgh for 4 years and had some pretty mad stuff!!!) but the rain didn't seem to really penetrate at all. My commute is about 40 mins (50 today with the rain!). I guess I'll really find out in the next couple of months when the weather really sets in!
Mrmacmusic (or anyone else that went for the same deal)...any thoughts on the other kit included?
Russ

subaqua

What’s the point
the Btwin ones I got yesterday at decathlon worked well. until i went through the flood outside wanstead driving test centre at just gone 5pm this evening. they got a tad overwhelmed and i got fairly wet feet.

I had never ridden in rain that bad before and it was interesting. I wrung the gloves out twice and the chiropractors receptionist took pity on me and spun and tumble dried my jersey and lycra shorts.

the helmet cam decided it didn't want to work in that amount of rain and i had a visit from the PF. luckily i had a inner tube in my bag, unluckily it was a 700c when i was on the MTB with 26" wheels. feck
I
called the 4th emergency service SWMBO who droped a tube off to me.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Mrmacmusic...was really interesting that we had very different experiences (I replied to one of your threads and went for the same deal that you did as it seemed so good!) Must admit that the weather wasn't the worst I've ever had (I lived in Edinburgh for 4 years and had some pretty mad stuff!!!) but the rain didn't seem to really penetrate at all. My commute is about 40 mins (50 today with the rain!). I guess I'll really find out in the next couple of months when the weather really sets in!
Mrmacmusic (or anyone else that went for the same deal)...any thoughts on the other kit included?
Russ
The weather was biblical this morning for me - 1hr in driving rain with 40mph+ gusts... perhaps it's no wonder the overshoes didn't cut the mustard!! Toasty and warm for the first half an hour or so, but water was definitely penetrating the neoprene and my shoes were absolutely soaked when I arrived at the office.

Wasn't that impressed with the front light in the Planet-X bundle, but the back light is pretty decent actually, and better than my existing one, so now I have two back lights. The beanie? It'll keep my head warm I'm sure :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are ace - wet or more accurately cold feet is about the worst thing ever, nothing you can do to combat - wiggling toes doesn't really do it!!

Which do you recommend Fossy?

BBB hardwear Aquashields....not cheap, about £30. Normal neoprene with a PU coating (look like thick shiny rubber) :hello:

Top Bottom