Overshoes with a good seal at the ankles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I've just bought a pair of GripGrab Orca overshoes, which fit well over the shoe and feel like good material, but leave a gap round my ankle wide enough to get a finger in, and just invite a cascade of water down the leg on the first rainy day.
Has anyone found any overshoes that fit snugly round the ankles, maybe with neoprene seals? I know 100% waterproof doesn't exist but I want better than this.

zizou

Veteran
Velotoze are probably the tightest fitting, i suspect a liitle fragile for regular use though

outlash

also available in orange
The nearest I could find was Castelli Diluvio which come up a little higher around the calf than others I have used. The proper answer is to get a pair of winter boots, but even then, if the seal around the leg was waterproof, it wouldn't help your circulation much.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Planet X overshoes fit with a Velcro rather than zip faster, so can be adjusted to fit snugly. Much more durable than the insulated Bontrager overshoes that I bought for my wife. They only lasted one ride before she snagged them and shredded the outer.

The Rover

Guru
I stole this idea from another forum but having had the same issue I bought a pair of thickish black marigold gloves, I cut off the fingers section so that they fit over the leg and over the top of my shoe/boot to act as a seal. Seems ok but I've yet to try it in the rain. Bit blue peter I know but you'll end up trying various brands of over shoes and I doubt you'll find the perfect one. Ie fit, weather proof, durability.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Planet X overshoes fit with a Velcro rather than zip faster, so can be adjusted to fit snugly. Much more durable than the insulated Bontrager overshoes that I bought for my wife. They only lasted one ride before she snagged them and shredded the outer.

+1 for the Planet X overshoes because of the velcro fastening, you make a seal as tight as you like around your ankle.
The Planet X ones look interesting if just for the surprisingly low price (£11.99). If they don't last then I won't have lost that much.

Otherwise I've been browsing this thread from 2011 that addresses the same issue amongst others. I don't suffer much from cold feet, so am more worried about waterproof-ness than warmth.

I also found these fairly extreme-looking Endura WP Gaiter Overshoes by following some of the links - it looks like they should fit better as they come further up the calf.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The Planet X ones look interesting if just for the surprisingly low price (£11.99). If they don't last then I won't have lost that much.

Mine have been fine and I tend to shred overshoes.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Take a tip from a bloke I saw riding in Chelsea a few years ago. He had a couple of Lidl plastic bags on his feet which were duct-taped to his bare shins.
Class!

Pizza Man

I've just thrown away a pair of Pro Classic neoprene overshoes. I found them to be very good but I've now worn them out so it was time for a new pair. Couldn't find them so have gone for Shimano Trail NPU+. They look very very similar to the Pro (rumour has it that Pro was basically an arm of Shimano anyway), so hopefully they'll fit and perform similarly. The zips don't look as strong as the Pro but time will tell.

Top Bottom