Overtaking (lack of) etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
OK, yesterday I was behind a slower cyclist, and another cyclist was behind me. I checked behind for a gap, called out "coming past on your right, mate" to the guy in front, and proceeded to overtake.

Next thing I know the one who was behind me came past me without a sound, so close that his left elbow made significant contact with my right arm. He could easily have made me come off.

Not an apology, he just blasts off. I tried to catch him, but he turned off at the next junction.

There was enough room for him to have given me more space, and if there wasn't, he should have waited until there was. Idiot.

Anyway, I'll look at the video to see if it's worth putting up. Rather annoying.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
[devilsadvocate] Maybe the guy behind misheard it as "come past on the right, mate" and is now posting on another forum saying "This guy said I could pass him and then pulled out, I couldnt stop and almost hit him [/devilsadvocate]

:tongue:

carolonabike

I had a close pass from someone last night on my way home from work. Really close and made me jump, the first I knew of him was as his disk wheels made that swooshing noise as he swished past. No need to be that close, it's just rude.

Paul J

Maybe sticking your right arm out to backup to indicate would have indicated your intentions to the guy behind and saved any confusion.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Maybe sticking your right arm out to backup to indicate would have indicated your intentions to the guy behind and saved any confusion.

Yes, but he came past a good couple of seconds after I had pulled out, so he had time to adjust.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Next thing I know the one who was behind me came past me without a sound, so close that his left elbow made significant contact with my right arm. He could easily have made me come off.

Not an apology, he just blasts off. I tried to catch him, but he turned off at the next junction.

I had similar happen to me just now funnily enough on a shared use cycle path. Idiot blasts past me with no warning and inches to spare then does exactly the same to 3 slower cyclists ahead of me, effectively bullying them out of the way. No bell, no call, nothing- just a pig ignorant Cambridge twat on a bike (and there's a lot of them about down there sadly!).
So if that was you in the red top, all the gear and no idea, heading towards Quy roundabout on Newmarket Road from the airport in Cambridge an hour or so ago, then you sir, are an utter daffodil!

lordloveaduck

A gentleman should never overtake a lady (it's just not the done thing)

Hip Priest

Veteran
especially if they have a nice arse. can happily follow a nice behind for hours

You'll like this.

The other week I was cycling home when I came up behind an attractive young lady on an MTB. It was absolutely bucketing down, and she was wearing some pretty thin leggings, which had been made see-through by the wet conditions.

She was going quite slowly, but I was in no hurry.

lulubel

Über Member
especially if they have a nice arse. can happily follow a nice behind for hours

The other week I was cycling home when I came up behind an attractive young lady on an MTB. It was absolutely bucketing down, and she was wearing some pretty thin leggings, which had been made see-through by the wet conditions.

She was going quite slowly, but I was in no hurry.

You should both be careful. You might get accused of stalking :biggrin:

I have the opposite problem round here. None of the male cyclists can bear to stay behind a woman, even if they really want to go slower than me :rolleyes:

Top Bottom