Own up-films that make you blub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Almost anything which deliberatley sets out to produce that blub-moment in the viewer... the kids take the mick mercilessly ... guess I'm just a softie at heart... if I'm watching on my own (rare!) it's much worse!

got-to-get-fit

rich p said:
Life is beautiful
Polyanna

i will second 'life is beautiful'
ill also add ...the champ

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Speicher said:
and the Episode in Star Trek (The Next Generation) Voyager where Nelix decides he must leave the Enterprise Voyager to live on a planet inhabited by people with the same ancestors as himself. (As he has no proper ancestors left).

That was Voyager. Neelix wasn't in ST:TNG [/geek mode]

The Railway Children (just that bit where Jenny Agutter shouts "Daddy, my Daddy" on the platform)

That whole part of the film. It's obvious it's all building to something, the music swells, and the smoke billows and then clears to reveal...
It's so...manipulative. It's such a cheap trick.
Cried like a baby, me.:biggrin:

As I did at points of Flying Scotsman. Maybe I should watch Brief Encounter, if I lay in a stock of Kleenex first.

I'm such a softy.:biggrin:

I never cry at the Clangers though. Yay me.;)

Tetedelacourse

Fnaar said:
Almost anything which deliberatley sets out to produce that blub-moment in the viewer... the kids take the mick mercilessly ... guess I'm just a softie at heart... if I'm watching on my own (rare!) it's much worse!

I'm the same:blush:

What Dreams May Come is the 2nd worst film I've ever seen.

papercorn2000

Incidentally, they have just released an English version of Funny Games. The Austrian version didn't so much make me cry as...cringe, wince and hide my eyes!

Tetedelacourse

papercorn2000 said:
ANd the worst is?

I've got Life is Beautiful on DVD, still steeling myself to watch it!

The Great Ecstasy of Robert Carmichael.

The only good thing about it was it was the wife that picked it, thereby granting me a lifetime's rights to choose what we watch.

Shame I only have a proportion of my lifetime left though.

<off to ponder>

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Speicher said:
So, apart from getting his name spelt wrong and the wrong programme, I was sort of right. I sit corrected. :biggrin:;)

Still very blubworthy though. Brokeback Mountain...that's the cowboy one, isn't it. Maybe I should see that. And Brief Encounter. Might have to rent them at some point.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I always cry in films if the emotion is done well, so it's hard to pick one or two in particular, but... Grave of the Fireflies, which is a Japanese animation about two kids in WW2, and Nobody Knows and Afterlife, both directed by Kore-Eda Hirokazu will make anyone cry. Il Postino gets me too. Lots of others.

Some films stir up so much without forcing you to feel any one thing in particular you just can't speak afterwards for quite some time... United 93 was like that...

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
papercorn2000 said:
ANd the worst is?

I've got Life is Beautiful on DVD, still steeling myself to watch it!

You'll need to. It was DIRE. I cried because I wasted an hour or so of my life watching the awful Roberto Begnini shouting, shouting again and, in the tender moments, shouting some more. Awful dross.

Try 'Fateless' instead. Far superior.

spindrift

The stone laying in Schindler's List.

The penultimate scene of Sense and Sensibility.

And a wonderful, wonderful film called This Happy Breed.

Celia Johnson goes out of shot as the camera holds steady on the battersea back garden of her husband, Robert Newton, to tell him their son has been killed.

The frame is empty, then Newton comes back into shot, shoulders dropped, carrying the watering can.

Waaaaa!

wafflycat

The Green Mile
Madame X
Bambi
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Land Before Time (where Littlefoot's Mother gets killed.. sniff.. sniff.. *bawls eyes out*)
Ghost
Schindler's List
A Perfect Storm
Shawshank Redemption
Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
To End All Wars
The Iron Giant
The Killing Fields

..and lots more. So I'm a girlie, and it's allowed when you're a girlie.

Top Bottom