Pack a Brompton for air travel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
As the title implies...
I'm aiming to take my M12R to NZ. My mate down there has a bike I usually borrow, but it really doesn't fit me. So, how best to pack it?
My current thinking involves folding it, removing the clamps, left pedal (and saddle?) to get it all as small as possible, and using a cut-up camping mat as protection on either side. Put that lot into a Dimpa bag, straps around the bag and a ton of gaffer tape.
How would the assembled CC groupmind do it?

Tenkaykev

Guru
22mm pipe insulation would provide a fair bit of extra protection.
You can cut it to length easily, it's light and quite inexpensive.

alicat

Legendary Member
I would put the camping mat between two dimpa bags. I haven't tried it but I think it could make the bike easier to get in and out and you might not need the straps and the gaffer tape.

It will be interesting to hear how you get on and what you would do differently.

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I would put the camping mat between two dimpa bags. I haven't tried it but I think it could make the bike easier to get in and out and you might not need the straps and the gaffer tape.

It will be interesting to hear how you get on and what you would do differently.

That's not a bad idea. It also gives me a bit of redundancy, in the form of a spare bag...

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
22mm pipe insulation would provide a fair bit of extra protection.
You can cut it to length easily, it's light and quite inexpensive.
I've done that before, when I took a road bike to the Alps.
Not sure it would fit round Brompton tubes, which are a good bit wider, but I shall have a try. :biggrin:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Having seen the mess soft luggage can get into I think the only safe way is in a hard case of some sort. I believe you could carry it as cabin luggage though which might be the best option .

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If I ever get around to completing my M8 as a touring bike (and have the time and energy to get away to use it) I'll look very carefully at one of these:
https://www.radicaldesign.com/cyclone-iv-chubby

I'd be surprised if a Brompton got through as hand luggage, except in the most generous airlines and probably the most generous classes of travel.

alicat

Legendary Member
Ikea say that the dimensions are 65 x 22 x 65 cm.

Nice try, Cyclops but I don't know of any airlines that have such a generous allowance for items that go in overhead lockers. -

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ikea say that the dimensions are 65 x 22 x 65 cm.

Nice try, Cyclops but I don't know of any airlines that have such a generous allowance for items that go in overhead lockers. -
The dimensions of a Brompton when folded are 585mm high x 565mm long x 270mm wide (23" x 22.2" x 10.6"), according to Brompton.
I really can't see an airline letting that go as hand luggage these days, plus I'd hate to carry it through a terminal or lift it into an overhead locker!

shingwell

I've done that before, when I took a road bike to the Alps.
Not sure it would fit round Brompton tubes, which are a good bit wider, but I shall have a try. :biggrin:
You won't find it at B&Q etc but 28mm pipe insulation is available...try a plummer's merchant.

That said, personally I'd invest in one of the hard boxes that are available, one with wheels so you can wheel it around the airport. Brommies are expensive, not worth risking damage IMO.

Top Bottom