Packable waterproof jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Is there such a thing as a waterproof, reasonably breathable jacket that can easily be stowed in a jersey pocket that doesn't require me to remortgage my house to buy?
Currently using a Castelli which is about as breathable as a bin liner. It's ok for riding on the flat at a steady pace, but hit the hills and boy does it get moist!!!

What jackets would you recommend

Sorry but the shakedry by gore is the best one I've ever had. It is an investment though.

si_c

Guru
Is there such a thing as a waterproof, reasonably breathable jacket that can easily be stowed in a jersey pocket that doesn't require me to remortgage my house to buy?

Nope sorry, anything packable enough to fit in a jersey is likely to be boil in the bag, or very very very expensive. A better option for the most part is likely to be a water resistant breathable softshell like a Castelli Gabba which you wear all the time, you can then pair it with a rain jacket for the worst of the weather.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Unfortunately I don't think there's a jacket which can satisfy all 4 parameters - waterproof, stuffable, breathable AND affordable. I'll throw the Montane Minimus into to the mix as a possible compromise, but whether it's affordable depends on the depth of your pockets.
As for remaining breathable during long periods of exertion (and when I'm climbing, it usually is lonnng periods!), most jackets will begin to struggle.

Lozz360

Veteran
I have a lightweight hi-viz jacket from Decathlon that cost about £20 a couple of years ago. It packs into a pouch about the size of your fist and is waterproof. Breathable it is not, but not really a problem as it is vented at the back.

That great northern invention pertex is good stuff.
Until i lost it on a ride i had an old karrimor pertex top. Very breathable, packed small, good for all but the heaviest most prolonged rwin. A useful windshield in drier conditions as well.

13 rider

Guru
Another vote for gore shake dry but expensive ,I also have a lightweight endura fs260 about a third of the price which is good but not as waterproof as the gore . Depends how often you will be riding in the rain and justifying the investment

That great northern invention pertex is good stuff.
Until i lost it on a ride i had an old karrimor pertex top. Very breathable, packed small, good for all but the heaviest most prolonged rwin. A useful windshield in drier conditions as well.
I seem to recall wearing a purple Karrimor pertex for almost a whole year of cycling back in the day. Great bit of kit.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Another vote for the Gore Shakedry. I got mine on sale at about £130 and even then winced at the cost, but it has been absolutely brilliant and fits like a glove. I don’t regret it for one moment.

Is pertex[1] still available I've looked and had no hits for actual 'pertex' rather the results being 'gore-alike' membranes, I have several goretex shells and I still boil in the bag as I produce more 'fluid' than goretex can shift so I still boil in the bag...

[1] Pertex is the hydro/hydraphobic wicking stuff isn't it.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Is pertex[1] still available I've looked and had no hits for actual 'pertex' rather the results being 'gore-alike' membranes, I have several goretex shells and I still boil in the bag as I produce more 'fluid' than goretex can shift so I still boil in the bag...

[1] Pertex is the hydro/hydraphobic wicking stuff isn't it.
If you run as hot as that, maybe you would be better just getting wet from the rain! Unless it's on for the day, you would soon dry out again in this weather and it's got to be more pleasant than that clammy feeling you get from sweating inside a jacket.

Top Bottom