Padded goalkeeper shorts good for cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Following last week's incident when someone fell into me knocking me off my bike and injuring me, i'm wondering if some padding will prevent further injury to my hips and upper legs. Obviously goalkeepers use them for when they fall to the floor making a save. The padding takes the impact. I reckon the padding will take most of the impact if you fall off your bike and land on your hip, saving you a lot of problems.
Do you think they will help in a fall?

http://www.clublinefootball.com/nike_gk_shorts_black

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4441397, member: 259"]I doubt it and they'd probably be very uncomfortable for cycling[/QUOTE]

I meant to be worn under padded cycling shorts, not on their own.:smile:

S-Express

Following last week's incident when someone fell into me knocking me off my bike and injuring me, i'm wondering if some padding will prevent further injury to my hips and upper legs. Obviously goalkeepers use them for when they fall to the floor making a save. The padding takes the impact. I reckon the padding will take most of the impact if you fall off your bike and land on your hip, saving you a lot of problems.
Do you think they will help in a fall?

http://www.clublinefootball.com/nike_gk_shorts_black

Far safer just not to go out cycling in the first place. Too dangerous.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
ure-id6524-000045?k=6&m=6524-000045&s=170667a&w=0&h=EFluDwP4SI-qFl-UUn67dxknn7q36vqFMhrl1obgnL8=.jpg

S-Express

Right, so you've never fallen or been knocked off and if you haven't, think you never will do/be?

Yeah, I've had a few crashes in my time. But if I bought a piece of protective clothing for every part of me that has been damaged in each crash, then I would look like the Michelin man by now. You can't legislate or plan for misfortune - just suck it up and get on with your life.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yeah, I've had a few crashes in my time. But if I bought a piece of protective clothing for every part of me that has been damaged in each crash, then I would look like the Michelin man by now. You can't legislate or plan for misfortune - just suck it up and get on with your life.

Broken arms. legs, fingers, collar bones tend to mend. When you get to a certain age broken hips need replacing taking time and a lot of pain to get over.

S-Express

Broken arms. legs, fingers, collar bones tend to mend. When you get to a certain age broken hips need replacing taking time and a lot of pain to get over.

A pair of goalkeeper shorts is not going to stop you breaking your hip. Although if they make you feel safer, then knock yourself out*

(* always wear a helmet to avoid this happening)

potsy

Rambler
Sounds like another wacky idea in a long line of wacky ideas Accy :tongue:

Whenever I have crashed or fallen off the bike the injuries have healed long before the 'fear' has.
It's natural to be a bit wary for a while, a few days/weeks back in the saddle and you start to forget those worries and just get on with your riding again.

No need for padded goalkeeper shorts or any such nonsense :okay:

Top Bottom