Padded goalkeeper shorts good for cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
http://nuytco.com/products/newtsuit/ ?

As a rider with a rod, wire and several screws in his femur, as I am sure there are others on here, it is something I am acutely aware of.
Isn't one of the problems the absorbsion of energy? Cars do it through crumple zones. Even when sitting still on a bike and just toppling over, a >75kg person will be carrying some energy at tarmac level.

And I'd guess for those who have had falls, it isn't always the hip which makes contact first.

Perhaps Volvo's research department would have been better employed looking at airbags for cyclists hips and shoulders rather than life paint?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just by the by, I came off a year or so ago and ended up sailing down the road on my backside. I was wearing Endura MTB shorts. I got a bruised rear, but I think if I'd been wearing lycra I'd probably have lost some skin.

That said, I don't wear the shorts for protection, I wear them because I like them and they have pockets.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
So someone already thought of it, might actually look at that company, wonder if they will do bib tights for the winter.

I've never used the shorts, so can't vouch for them, but I've looked at a sample of the material. It's basically a layer of silicone gel sandwiched between two layers of lycra at key points (eg on the hips). And the material is supposed to be more abrasion-resistant than standard lycra.

I'll leave it to others to test whether or not they're effective.

Fergs

Guru
I infer that we're talking about Accrington Stanley goalkeeper shorts? As well as considering what they might do about potential damage to your hips, you should also consider the likelihood of their causing you back pain...

from bending down to pick the ball out of the back of the net

Just kidding. In truth, I've got a soft spot for Accy 'cos the fans that I've met on match day have been great and the directors were a very friendly bunch, too.

Lonestar

Veteran
I've got a pair of Madison MTB shorts with padding but hated the padding and ended up cutting it out.It just felt bulky and horrible but I do need the pockets for stuff.

jayonabike