Pain in left knee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toby_2009

Hi,

Im 16 and have been riding for about 5ish weeks on my GIANT Boulder MTB. I have noticed that when im on the bike i have some pain in my left knee, its just to the right of the knee cap. I think it might be a muscle thats hurting, the best way to demonstrate where the pain is is if you do the following - take this stance : http://www.stpaulksw.com/blog/wp-content/images/horse-riding-stance.jpg - place you hands on the insides of your knees, right to the inside of the knee cap and sway in that stance, i.e. move the knee from being above the ankle to above the toes and back and you should feel a little muscle under your hand.

(sorry about it being so complicated but its the best way to demonstrate it:blush:) so the pain is not very bad but any ideas why its happened?

If its just a muscle pain then is it likely to just be a strained/pulled muscle?

what should I do, just rest it?

Cheers

Toby

Radius

SHREDDER
Yes sounds like rest is a good idea, but make sure your seat is the correct height as well, have a look at the threads around for tonnes of info on this, apologies if it is already.

OP
OP
T

Toby_2009

cheers, wont go out for a few days then il pop out just to see how it is

as for seat, just looked up instructions and checked it and iv put it up about 6mm but can such a tiny amount really change anything?

3-IN-One

Toby_2009 said:
cheers, wont go out for a few days then il pop out just to see how it is

as for seat, just looked up instructions and checked it and iv put it up about 6mm but can such a tiny amount really change anything?

I dont know about 6mm,but 25mm + it does make a huge difference

you will be surprised I used to suffer with pins and needles in my hands it was all down to saddle height

I hope your knee problem sorts itself out m8

OP
OP
T

Toby_2009

3-IN-One said:
I dont know about 6mm,but 25mm + it does make a huge difference

you will be surprised I used to suffer with pins and needles in my hands it was all down to saddle height

I hope your knee problem sorts itself out m8

:becool: had pins and needles in one of me hand s on the bike other day:wacko:

SO do I, I really hope its nothing serious!

colinr

I found my knee pain was caused by the saddle too low. Probably about 15mm, but I was pushing my knee out to the side on the upstroke because of it. Not had any trouble with it since.

OP
OP
T

Toby_2009

colinr said:
I found my knee pain was caused by the saddle too low. Probably about 15mm, but I was pushing my knee out to the side on the upstroke because of it. Not had any trouble with it since.

thats a very useful comment actually thanks mate, I think i did notice that it was going out to the side a bit now you mention it.

Did the pain take a while to go?

OP
OP
T

Toby_2009

iv got one of those ancient exercise bikes which use the friction of a band, would it be good to do a very small amount of exercise on that? very easy work?

Also, its partly in my nature but i worry these sorts of thing are serious - how long do you guys reckon it'll last (from experience like)

Radius

SHREDDER
As per your comment about a small amount making a difference, I'd say yes, it definitely can make a difference, just that little bit. The difference between acceptable and perfect, for instance...

montage

God Almighty
I had really dodgy knees because my bike was about and inch and a half too low. Proffessional fitting sorted that. I have been taking it slow for 3 weeks (about 10 days of no riding running, then easing back into it)....today did a hilly 48 and knees were fine! Yippy I thought! I can cycle again (then I crashed, off bike for a few days at least now ...oh the irony)

colinr

thats a very useful comment actually thanks mate, I think i did notice that it was going out to the side a bit now you mention it. Did the pain take a while to go?

Since adjusting the saddle, no problem at all. At the time, if it started hurting and I made a concious effort to keep my knee in line, it would fade over a few minutes.

OP
OP
T

Toby_2009

THanks for the help guys but im still getting this pain, in both knees now, I'm pretty sure the saddle height is right and it feels comfortable when pedaling.

The pain is in the muscle on the inner side of each knee cap - So, do you guys think that since I've only been cycling about 6 weeks and have covered about 250 miles in that time, it is just the muscles hurting from working hard and getting stronger or is it likely to be more serious? - do i need to make an appointment with the doctor?

Top Bottom