Paint adhesion problem. How to resolve? Any paint experts here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Take it all off, scraping or sanding back, use a 400-600 grit paper to smooth plaster but give a key. Apply SBR to roughened clean plaster. Allow SBR to go off, but remain fresh. You could even mix a small amount of SBR with paint, stir well in to paint then paint walls again. Paint won't come off then

Adam4868

Guru
I'm no real painter...but Plasterer I am.Id never seal plaster with PVA.Painting new plaster a watered down mist coat of paint,anything thicker and the plaster won't absorb it.Dont forget to let plaster fully dry out first.
Right sorry it's not much help to you Skolly 😁

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm no real painter...but Plasterer I am.Id never seal plaster with PVA.Painting new plaster a watered down mist coat of paint,anything thicker and the plaster won't absorb it.Dont forget to let plaster fully dry out first.
Right sorry it's not much help to you Skolly 😁

I had a somewhat similar sounding problem where paint would't stick and even ended up looking like crocodile skin after several attempts. Anyhow I sanded steamed and scraped as best I could, then over time painted several layers of "mist coats" (as decorators call it) of very watered down paint, then a couple of normal coats and eventually all was well

kynikos

Veteran
I put in my official complaint to Valspar this morning including this rather damning picture to illustrate the Problem.

View attachment 652536

Now I just need to wait for their response on how they intend to rectify the mess....

Valspar's response:

tape.jpg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Valspar has its place , a bedroom would be the limit for me. I just put up a mist coat on My new plastered kitchen walls. Then two coats of F&B estate emulsion. It’s so far quite tough. Wipeable easily enough .
However it matter not a jot what you put on top of underneath is not stable.

Worked out over the years of using cheap products that you have to pay for quality .

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The reply has come back from Valpar and it is frankly pathetic!
Basically this is what they have said..
"It's disappointing when projects don't go to plan. If you would like a voucher for a tub of free paint please reply to request this."

No suggestions as to why it didn't work. No pointing out errors in my preparation or the conditions in which the paint was applied. Just ' the paint didn't work, here have some more'!

I'm not accepting this as the product is clearly not fit for purpose or is faulty and I am just working on my (polite!) response to point this out and make them accept responsibility for their sh1te!

Adam4868

Guru
The reply has come back from Valpar and it is frankly pathetic!
Basically this is what they have said..
"It's disappointing when projects don't go to plan. If you would like a voucher for a tub of free paint please reply to request this."

No suggestions as to why it didn't work. No pointing out errors in my preparation or the conditions in which the paint was applied. Just ' the paint didn't work, here have some more'!

I'm not accepting this as the product is clearly not fit for purpose or is faulty and I am just working on my (polite!) response to point this out and make them accept responsibility for their sh1te!
Bad workman allways blames his tools...should of been the reply 😂

postman

Legendary Member
A shed and fence paint two years ago.Five coats of green over blue,never blocked the blue out,then it rained and it finished up looking like tiger bread.That crap came from a pound type shop.I never even got a reply to my e mail.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Leyland Trade, (or most trade paints) seem to be the way to go. Not the watered down shi1te they sell for DIY use.

Yes but even some so called trade paints are sh1te as well ! Leyland I think are owned by Johnstone paints ? They also make/ supply paint for own brand such Homebase , wickes !

keithmac

Guru
Yes but even some so called trade paints are sh1te as well ! Leyland I think are owned by Johnstone paints ? They also make/ supply paint for own brand such Homebase , wickes !

Best thing you can do is pick a paint then have a look at the reviews first, I believe Dulux got a roasting a few years back for supplying sub standard paint.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Dulux trade stuff is good , however you do imo pay more for better stuff . Just splashed out £150 on farrow and ball paint for the kitchen . However it appears to be very good, already wiped it down to remove marks . Knowing now about paint I’d plump for the more expensive stuff every time.

Top Bottom