Painting bike frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stupug

Regular
looking for advice on what paint to get and lacquer to finish with etc?

Could I just go to halfords and buy car paint? Or does anyone know of a cheaper alternative?

Also what's the best way to do it? Nitro mors all the paint off then sand it a little to paint?
Am I ok to do this outdoors as well?

Colin_P

Guru
What are you doing, painting that old Pug?

Car paint in aerosols is about the cheapest way. As for preparation, you don't need to remove the old paint, just lightly key it with some very fine grit sandpaper.

In terms of DIY paining bikes, less is more. You don't want very thick paint layers which easily chip.

Drago

Legendary Member
Depends on what you're trying to achieve, but with a bead blast and powder coat being extremely tough and long lasting, and starting at about £40, it's hardly worth the effort of DIY painting.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Poundland is probably your cheapest source of cheap rattle cans if you go down that route although you may be limited to black or white as colour options.

Crandoggler

Strip parts, degrease everything fully, wash bike, degrease again, wash again.

Use 2-3 grades of wet and dry, 1200-2000 grit. Rub the paint down until it feels smooth and soft.

Use alcohol wipes to remove dirt and any other crap which won't allow the paint to properly cover.

Primer, light coats, same direction with the can, about 30cm away until it's all covered.

Rub it down again with a very high grit (2000)

Alcohol wipes again.

Same method with choice of top coat

Repeat above for layers and lacquer. Easy to do for £20-25

OP
OP
stupug

stupug

Regular
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I looked at powder coating but was quoted £120 for it. So just thought I would do it myself.

I think I will have to take it right down to the metal to find all the rust sports and remove it all and there is some quite bad areas where paint has been chipped off shown in the picture.

Colin_P

Guru
That is going to need more than a light rub to key the old paint.

@Crandoggler has posted some good advice.

I've got an old early 80's 10 speed Pug similar to yours with wyman brakes and simplex gears. I sprayed it satin black and machine polished up all the aluminium components. It is a lovely old thing to ride but the brakes are terrifying. They are well worth saving.

OP
OP
stupug

stupug

Regular
I've seen a hammerite product called kurust which I was gunna use for the rusted spots to remove it then paint over

Tim Hall

A hundred and twenty notes? That's a bit steep. Armourtex Cycles in Hackney start at a little over half that. Life's too short for all that rubbing and filling.

Jody

Stubborn git
Mate just had a full suss frame shot blasted and powder coated including rockers and stem for £80. I agree with Tim that's it's not worth the time of prepping vs quality of finish.

sidevalve

Über Member
As above it's the preparation if you want a good finish. As a test when you've rubbed it down perfectly close your eyes and gently run your fingers over it [ooer] when you feel the blemishes [and you will] start rubbing again.

Top Bottom