Painting bike frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Probably not.

screenman

Legendary Member
I hate to say it but Halfrauds laquer is the best single pack I have ever used, possibly it is Upol 20/85.

The aerosols are also very good if you warm them up slightly.

screenman

Legendary Member
As above it's the preparation if you want a good finish. As a test when you've rubbed it down perfectly close your eyes and gently run your fingers over it [ooer] when you feel the blemishes [and you will] start rubbing again.

Old trade trick, place a thin piece of cotton between fingers and whatever you are trying to feel, it will make the feel better.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I've seen a hammerite product called kurust which I was gunna use for the rusted spots to remove it then paint over
Kurust contains phosphoric acid, which converts the rust to ferric phosphate, which is inert and provides a degree of protection to the underlying metal. The trouble is that Kurust won't remove pitting, so you will probably end up skimming the area with fine filler anyway (if you want a perfect finish). And of course if you sand the area after using Kurust, you will be removing the phosphate layer and the protection - but the rust will be gone, at least. I use Kurust routinely with any job involving rust removal.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'm with the people who say get it powder coated. I've painted one frame myself and never again. It looked good when I'd finished but it was a lot of work and the result was not as tough as I'd have liked. Also it cost about as much, if not more than powder coating by the time I'd bought Nitromors, emery paper, paint etc.

midlife

Guru
Powder coating for me every day of the week over self prep and rattle can...

Here's a £40 powder coat Dave LLoyd from a Retrobike thread.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=190651

Shaun

midlife

Guru
Does that price include preparation?

It's not my frame in the link but I did enquire as Carlisle powder coating is just down the road from where I work and the single colour at 40 quid included removing all the old paint, plugging all the holes with high temperature silicone and one colour only. Few years ago but can't imagine it's a lot more...

Shaun

Top Bottom