Painting Stainless Steel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goggs

Guru
Hi folks. I'm wondering if it's possible to paint the stainless steel rack mounting stays on my bike. The carrier is a Topeak and it's black like the bike but the stays are shiny stainless and it jars a bit. So I'd like to paint the stays. The rack is on & not coming off any time soon but I'm worried painting the stays will look naff really quickly.

Any thoughts on which paint to use if it's possible and whether it's feasible at all would be most welcome. Here's a photo of the offending articles..

Topeak_Rack_Stay_01_zps1zouttub.jpg

And here's why I'd prefer them to be black..

17-12-13_zpseux0jjov.jpg

Attachments

• Topeak_Rack_Stay_01_zps1zouttub.jpg
    Topeak_Rack_Stay_01_zps1zouttub.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 17-12-13_zpseux0jjov.jpg
    17-12-13_zpseux0jjov.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 48

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I think Bike looks great as is, you have bits of silver on the bike, seat rails, trim to grips, crank, nipples.

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
I think Bike looks great as is, you have bits of silver on the bike, seat rails, trim to grips, crank, nipples.

That's a fair point mate, there are silvery bits elsewhere.

By the time you've used the rack a bit half the black 'paint' will have worn off it.

This is also my fear. I can see myself in a few months time with sandpaper in my hands.

Of course it's feasible to paint it - it's still just steel (with a bit of chromium added).

Any clue on what specific paint to use?

screenman

Legendary Member
I would cover it in black heatshrink. cost only a few pence, lasts a long time and easily replaceable if it wears.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's a fair point mate, there are silvery bits elsewhere.

This is also my fear. I can see myself in a few months time with sandpaper in my hands.

Any clue on what specific paint to use?
The 2 black Topeak racks I've got fitted have chafed really badly, dunno about the silver one as the bike that was fitted to was stolen. They are a superb 'system' though.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
IMG_0746.PNG
This Matt black stove paint is excellent, really hardwearing & pretty cheap at £3.70 delivered.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=191992887845&globalID=EBAY-GB

Top Bottom