Painting Stainless Steel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
As soon as I find the French equivalent this is th one.

That will scratch off stainless with your finger nail.

S-Express

Any clue on what specific paint to use?

Etch primer followed by a can of automotive aerosol should give you the finish you want. Save the Hammerite for any gates or railings you may have, but don't use it on the bike. Likewise, stove paint is ideal is you want a high temperature, matt finish. If you don't there are plenty of more useful alternatives.

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
Thanks for the advice folks. I think I'm going to go with leaving it as is because I don't think the finish will stand up to wear & tear and will just end up looking naff.

S-Express

Thanks for the advice folks. I think I'm going to go with leaving it as is because I don't think the finish will stand up to wear & tear and will just end up looking naff.

No idea why you think that. if done properly, the finish will last as long as any other painted finish you already have on your bike.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am surprised that you think that about shrink wrap, it lasted years on some of the parts I have used it on.

Drago

Legendary Member
Heat shrink is virtually indestructible. My main use for it is on my home made amateur radio antennae, but I've also used it on motorcycle shock absorber springs with great success. It'll cost you about 2 quid, will look brilliant, and will last the life of the bike if you don't abuse it.

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
Heat shrink is virtually indestructible. My main use for it is on my home made amateur radio antennae, but I've also used it on motorcycle shock absorber springs with great success. It'll cost you about 2 quid, will look brilliant, and will last the life of the bike if you don't abuse it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "heat shrink", have you got a link you could share?

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
Heat shrinking sounds like it would work but I don't own a heat gun so it's a relatively expensive option.

screenman

Legendary Member
The heat wrap will cost a couple of quid, a micro butane torch about £8. Once you have that torch you will find a lot of uses for it, soldering, cream brulee topping, lighting candles and loads more.

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4597386, member: 9609"]I have never tried this heat wrap stuff, I must give it a go, any links on what to buy for the wrap (I have quite a few differant heat guns / blow torches etc)

I must do a little experiment with the special primer on stainless, see how much better it is to just slopping the paint directly on.

I'm also curious about using water based primer on bare steel, it says on the tin you can, but how will that work ? will rust not immediately set in[/QUOTE]

We use WB primer on cars.

Ebay for the wrap.

Top Bottom