Pair of great tits in my hand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
OK, Mad Doug Biker (not forgetting Fnaar), you asked for it.....
DSCN0085.JPG

The female is the rather startled one in the background. She was more cautious than the male, and had just plucked up courage to land, but was taking her time over selecting a mealworm, when the male came zooming in like an exocet from the far end of the garden and hustled her out of the way.
DSCN0084.JPG

This is her just before the top photo - she has a thinner, and slightly zig-zag black line down her middle.
DSCN0089.JPG

While the male has a larger and wider marking.
Hand-feeding live mealworms may seem unnatural, but ensured that the youngsters had a good feed. Leaving mealworms in a pot simply fed a very greedy blackbird which would just trough the lot!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Lovely!! We have a small cage we put over where the mealworms are so that the small birds can get in but the pigeons can't.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
:wub:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Lovely!! We have a small cage we put over where the mealworms are so that the small birds can get in but the pigeons can't.

Do be careful with those cages - there are reports of hedgehogs getting stuck in them - they get part way but can't reverse because of their spines. I guess you could move the cage at night when hedgehogs are most likely to be about.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General

He's been eating mealy worms and is quietly being violently sick out the back of the cafe, by the wheely bin.

When faced with perfection, like the thread title, I must, like you, simply sit back and admire. :thumbsup:

Or, I could offer a pedantic grammatical analysis of the title: it works, because both 'pair' and 'tits' are nouns, both of which could be preceded by the adjective 'great'. If 'great' goes before 'pair', ambiguity is lost, and the title must therefore refer to breasts. Ambiguity (and therefore humour) is maintained by putting 'great' before 'tits', which, by coincidence, gives us the compound noun 'great tit', pertaining to the nomenclature of a particular example (parus major) of the family Paridae.

Top Bottom