Panettone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I had never heard of Panettone, but now that I have... it sounds (and looks) really nice!
It really isn't. :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Where have you been the last few years? It's all over.
Todmorden! :laugh:

Including discount supermarkets.
Get yourself down to Lidl, they always have it around this time of year
It is lovely. Aldi do a real nice one too.
I shop at Lidl and/or Aldi 4 or 5 times a week...

... BUT I don't look around at what is in either store! I make a list before I go and head straight for the things on the list, and that is that. I know where all the things that I normally buy are so I don't have to search for them and stumble across new things.

This is a habit that I got into after giving up alcohol. I didn't want to go anyway near the booze shelves in case I gave way to temptation, but then I would be walking past lots of sweets and developed a chocolate habit instead. I ended up eating 150 g of chocolate a night! To kick the chocolate habit, I steered clear of the sweets shelves, but then developed a cake habit. I kicked that habit but got hooked on biscuits instead...

Will-power engaged, I am finally almost indulgence-free!

It was not just a case of avoiding indulgences though - I also had to be very careful with money. Until I got my pension, once my rent and utility bills had been paid I only had a £5 a day budget for everything else and that doesn't go far, especially if (say) £2 a day is spent on unnecessary items.

So that is why I don't notice products like Panettone - I habitually shop with blinkers on! :okay:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Panettone and Pandoro are traditional Italian Christmas cakes.
The real thing is consumed with a cuppa during the festive season.
It is a sweet bread, not usually baked at home because it takes a long time to make.
It's often gifted, you would take one to a friend's home, quite often you will receive one from your employer.
Sadly, the stuff available here in the supermarkets is not very nice.
For a good panettone or pandoro try an Italian delicatessen, or an Italian restaurant, most sell them retail this time of year.
Strangely, TKMax has really good panettone (sometimes).
A good panettone does not need added butter or jam, because the dough should already be moist and buttery.
It the panettone is dry, it's not a good one.
Edit to say: good panettone is really expensive, even in Italy.

iandg

Legendary Member
The one handed out at the end of Tuscany L'Eroica(2011) was lovely :smile:

Not as good as the bottle of Chianti tho' 😉

6245870499_75b573642f_c.jpg

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Makes a good bread and butter pudding like @Pat "5mph" says the stuff here is nothing like the true stuff. I’ve made mini ones before not too hard if your use to enriched doughs.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Makes a good bread and butter pudding like @Pat "5mph" says the stuff here is nothing like the true stuff. I’ve made mini ones before not too hard if your use to enriched doughs.

I was going to say the same thing, both about the B&B pudding and being easy enough to make If you are OK with bread type doughs. I usually make one in lieu of Christmas cake as nobody in our house other than me likes a heavy fruit cake.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Get yourself a nice Stollen instead. Your tastebuds will thank you
Not from Aldi, their Stollen is as bad as their Panettone :laugh:
Premium continental Christmas cakes are very expensive to make, the price you pay reflects the quality you get.

Top Bottom