Panettone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Was that the hidden clementine one? I rather liked that, but then I adore Christmas pudding anyway.

So do I always have , only me likes it so make a few small ones and have them over Christmas. Even better with homemade rum sauce. The bottle tends to slip every time I add some can't think why :whistle:.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
It’s awful stuff. I cannot fathom what all the fuss is about. Bought one once. Had 2 bites from one slice and binned the rest. I took the second bite as I wanted to check it was that awful.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It's not that much faffier than making a loaf of bread tbh - there's plenty of good recipes knocking around. The Hairy Bikers are usually a good bet for this sort of stuff.
If you have time and the equipment, try this recipe:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XolnzZXkmS0

This is the only good recipe from a reputable Italian cooking site I could find with English subtitles.

This one:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWlVq6GoKPY
is also really good, but no subtitles.

Both use brewer's yeast, but there are versions with "lievito madre" (Italian sourdough starter, not sour though lol)
As you can see, the recipe takes at least a full day to make, a food mixer is recommended.
Special strong 13 protein flour is also needed, I haven't seen it here in shops, but it's available on Amazon.
London delicatessens will probably stock it.
Preferred oven is a non-ventilated one.
I have never tried to make panettone, because I don't have enough waking hours between work to wait for the rich dough to raise in my cold kitchen, I would need 2 days off in a row to be available to bake it at the right time.
I prefer pandoro, which I can't make either for the same reasons, no time, no good oven till I buy a better one.

OT: there's this Facebook "lievito madre" Italian sourdough that I joined during lock down.
At this time of year, there are many posts of home bakers getting a panettone in the oven at 3am, when it has finally risen to perfection.
I like baking, but I like my sleep more :laugh:

So do I always have , only me likes it so make a few small ones and have them over Christmas. Even better with homemade rum sauce. The bottle tends to slip every time I add some can't think why :whistle:.

*giggle*

I'm teetotal, but I have a very ancient, very dusty bottle of brandy that gets trotted out exactly once a year to flambe the pud. :blush:

If you have time and the equipment, try this recipe:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XolnzZXkmS0

This is the only good recipe from a reputable Italian cooking site I could find with English subtitles.

This one:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWlVq6GoKPY
is also really good, but no subtitles.

Both use brewer's yeast, but there are versions with "lievito madre" (Italian sourdough starter, not sour though lol)
As you can see, the recipe takes at least a full day to make, a food mixer is recommended.
Special strong 13 protein flour is also needed, I haven't seen it here in shops, but it's available on Amazon.
London delicatessens will probably stock it.
Preferred oven is a non-ventilated one.
I have never tried to make panettone, because I don't have enough waking hours between work to wait for the rich dough to raise in my cold kitchen, I would need 2 days off in a row to be available to bake it at the right time.
I prefer pandoro, which I can't make either for the same reasons, no time, no good oven till I buy a better one.

OT: there's this Facebook "lievito madre" Italian sourdough that I joined during lock down.
At this time of year, there are many posts of home bakers getting a panettone in the oven at 3am, when it has finally risen to perfection.
I like baking, but I like my sleep more :laugh:

Mmmmm, I'll have a looksy. :okay: I use a recipe from a very ancient "world recipes" cookbook when I do make it.

Am used to making sourdough bread and breads with tiddly amounts of yeast, so long bulk ferments aren't a bother. The best thing I've learned, is to make my dough in the evening, and then let it get on with itself overnight while I concentrate on my beauty sleep. :angel:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was given a box of Italian food goodies last Xmas, including a panettone, which I rather liked. I found it went very well with a dollop of ice cream.

Mind you, that might be a terrible sin. The Italians can be a bit funny about getting things right (I know you should like never order cappuccino after noon - not that I've ever done that as I never have milk in my coffee).

Tenkaykev

Guru
Is this how you work out how long they were baking in the oven?

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 13.52.24.png

iandg

Legendary Member
The one handed out at the end of Tuscany L'Eroica(2011) was lovely :smile:

Sorry, I was wrong - it was panforte (not panettone) that was handed to finishers at L'Eroica (saw some in Aldi yesterday and remembered). :blush:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Is the one on the right a chocolate thing with the density of plutonium? :hungry:

Well remembered, yes. It translates as "nougat of the dead" - the nuts are meant to represent the bones of buried loved ones. I've done it like this one (more traditional, with hazelnuts) and also a version with broken up Biscoff cream biscuits (because everything nowadays is Biscoff flavoured, right?). Most of my repertoire is Italian-inspired, including various panettones over the years (to bring it back on topic).

Torrone dei Biscoff.jpg

Top Bottom