Panettone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Panettone and Pandoro are traditional Italian Christmas cakes.
The real thing is consumed with a cuppa during the festive season.
It is a sweet bread, not usually baked at home because it takes a long time to make.
It's often gifted, you would take one to a friend's home, quite often you will receive one from your employer.
Sadly, the stuff available here in the supermarkets is not very nice.
For a good panettone or pandoro try an Italian delicatessen, or an Italian restaurant, most sell them retail this time of year.
Strangely, TKMax has really good panettone (sometimes).
A good panettone does not need added butter or jam, because the dough should already be moist and buttery.
It the panettone is dry, it's not a good one.
Edit to say: good panettone is really expensive, even in Italy.

It's not that much faffier than making a loaf of bread tbh - there's plenty of good recipes knocking around. The Hairy Bikers are usually a good bet for this sort of stuff.

I find the bought ones too perfumed and lacking in substance, but a home made one has just the right balance of sultanas, mixed peel and vanilla. Although it's not a cheap bake given the butter and eggs that go into the dough, it's worth it to make yourself.

This is my favourite one .... lovely!
Screenshot_20221125_231417.jpg

mustang1

Guru
Butter. Always butter. Jam and/or toasting optional. Butter is mandatory.

Actually we always get it at Xmas along with those sauces, biscuits, cheese boards.

Jameshow

Veteran
https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...s-tasted-and-rated?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
The Guardian must be on cyclechat because today they have helpfully published a guide to the best ones

Only two in there two would describe and panattone? Adsa and Sainsbury's finest. They are the cheapest! Yum....

tom73

Guru
Having read the reviews, I'm going to try...

None.

They all sound pretty grim to me. :thumbsdown:

Any of these sort of reviews by "experts " always way off the mark and very selective of who's review.
Normally just a cheep easy way to get hold of freebies. Stuff never lives up to reviews like this normally you'd be way better eating the box than the stuff in side.

Jameshow

Veteran
I don't like the variations tbh.

Worst was a Waitrose orange Christmas pudding by Heston...!

What a let down and ruined my dinner!!!

Any of these sort of reviews by "experts " always way off the mark and very selective of who's review.
Normally just a cheep easy way to get hold of freebies. Stuff never lives up to reviews like this normally you'd be way better eating the box than the stuff in side.

TBH, I was never a fan of panettone until I started making my own.

The ones you buy tend to be too sweet, too perfumed and have a strangely woolly texture.

Top Bottom