pannier bag shopping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helmet tester

hello, nice to pop back in here..been off sick with stress and then me mrs took ill and had to go under the surgeons knife.

anyway, just seeking general opinions on panniers, as i'm looking to some longer trips next summer. Found a good price on altura dryline 56 (may as well get the bigger ones rather than have to buy bigger later), or there was some other ones (forget the name) with more pockets etc and supposedly 100% waterproof - look good in terms of long term durability.

budget up to about the 70 quid mark.(cyclexpress has good prices and wiggle ok too) Must be waterproof and enough space for kit for one night stopovers.

any tips folks?

monnet

Guru
I got a pair of Ortleib Rear Roller Classics last year from one of the online places (cyclestore perhaps) for a tad under £70. Absolutely brilliant - totally waterproof and superb quality.

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Got some bargain cheap ones at (eh-hem) Halfords and was glad I only paid a tenner each as they've both managed to 'jump' off despite being hooked on and bungeed on and I've scraped them all over the road and they look well battered!!! Oil, ripped bits, they look fabulous!!

At least I don't look too much like a newbie now...just a bit tramp-like!! ;)

discplayer

I have the large drylines are they are great. The only concern is their weight although I do not know how that compares to others such as the Ortleibs. I've used them in the rain, although fortunately not in heavy storms, and they have kept everything dry.
I also have the briefcase from the same range, that has kept the laptop dry in all sorts of weather.

OP
OP
helmet tester

helmet tester

well, from what i've seen theyre all going to have a little bit weight to them (i reckon), if theyre sturdy enough to last for ever. saying that, if i go off on such adventures i'll not be exactly racing, its more about leisurely rides so i dont mind.

Carwash

Señor Member
I misunderstood the thread title - I thought it was about going shopping with panniers.

Just ignore me...

OP
OP
helmet tester

helmet tester

ortleibs or altura drylines then, both have good reviews and recommendations. The ortleibs look possibly harder wearing so might last me till i'm old and grey riding all over the country in my retirement !

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I misunderstood the thread title - I thought it was about going shopping with panniers.
your not the only one

OP
OP
helmet tester

helmet tester

its all subjective i know, but i'm getting the panniers for my birthday so might as well get something of good enough quality and practicality thats going to pretty much last forever and rule out the need to upgrade later.

so, am i right in assuming those 100% waterproof ortleib panniers meet my above criteria ?

and aside from anticipated long summer trips etc, i've recently taken to hot tea and biscuit stops during night rides with fellow cyclists (really nice if you havent tried it) so i'm seeing why panniers would be so useful ; i'm having to use my rucksack, as my rackpack doesnt have enough space for waterproofs etc AND flask, cups etc.

(did i also mention my topeak saddle bag fits really well on the side of a pannier rack, like a sort of mini panier - this means i can use my rackpack at the same time / or just the saddle pack without having to keep moving my rear light)

historyman

I'm very happy with the Ortlieb pair I bought (in part thanks to recommendations on this site). NB you can buy the front rollers and use them on the rear - I did this because I didn't need such a big bag.
Has anyone tried the Ortlieb Bike Shopper? Looks good...

e-rider

crappy member
...the choice is easy - Ortleib! If you have a week to try them both you would know that the ortleib back rollers are the king of all panniers. They will last for decades, will never leak and fit to the bike very well (if you have a suitable rack) The altura panniers are OK but they are in a different league to Ortleib and dare I say even a different sport!

SoulOnIce

tundragumski said:
...the choice is easy - Ortleib! If you have a week to try them both you would know that the ortleib back rollers are the king of all panniers. They will last for decades, will never leak and fit to the bike very well (if you have a suitable rack) The altura panniers are OK but they are in a different league to Ortleib and dare I say even a different sport!

I agree. I bought some roll top Ortleib panniers over 10 years ago and they are still going strong. I bought them on the recommendation of a friend who had had a pair for years and swore by them - and I can see why.

I do not know anyone with roll top Ortleibs that does not rave about them. If you can't afford them then I would suggest you buy a very cheap pair of panniers first and use plastic bags inside and then save up for the Ortleibs cos they are the one and only - once you've had them you'd never have anything else.

Reasons to have Ortleibs:
1. They are 100% waterproof. If you do the roll top properly you can get the pannier to float on a river and stuff will still be dry!
2. The are very, very tough - most people I know with them have had them for years and never broke them
3. You can buy attachments from Wiggle if for some reason the clips break. Plus you can get a handy device to convert them to a rucksack. Have a look on Wiggle.
4. Anyone who has got Ortleib will tell you they are the best.

Only downside is that with the roll tops you only have one big compartment and there are no side compartments. But this is a small price to pay - and I get around it by putting my stuff in small bags in the pannier.

They are simply the best by miles. End of.

Top Bottom