Pannier Rack Bolts: Threadlock vs Copaslip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The heads of the hex bolts fixing my pannier rack to the bike frame have light rust on them. They were fitted at my LBS so I've ordered some A2 black stainless steel ones.

I was wondering if I should use Threadlocker or prevent them coming loose or Copaslip to prevent them seizing?

2019-01-20-21-jpg.jpg

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I would use Copaslip to prevent the stainless steel reacting with the alluminium frame.

Use an anti rotation star washer. Rack bolts can come out under some weird combination of conditions.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Mix 2 parts coppaslip, with 1/2 part Locktite 312 and 1/2 part Loctite 446. Our into shaker and shake anti-clockwise. Then apply to threads with a badger-hair brush and torque to 5.2 NM.

For god's sake. Go for a ride and drink a beer.

5.2 NM wet ? Dry torque would be around 5.2nm so that may go a bit too tight.

Figures are set dry.
Not to mention the £15 for all them locktights,it's a bike rack!!

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Mix 2 parts coppaslip, with 1/2 part Locktite 312 and 1/2 part Loctite 446. Our into shaker and shake anti-clockwise. Then apply to threads with a badger-hair brush and torque to 5.2 NM.

For god's sake. Go for a ride and drink a beer.
You forgot to fabricate the electrolytic reaction divining tool, so that the magic mix can be properly targeted.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Bog-standard grease here. I once had to tediously drill out and re-tap the hole for a mudguard bolt which snapped, but I think I forgot to grease that one.

Top Bottom