Pannier Rack Installed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
Just got my cheap eBay job pannier rack fitted! Actually pleased enough with the quality. It's as solid as any other I've seen, and I feel adequate for service!

Fitting was actually quite clear, with instructions in actual English!

I had a bit of difficulty fitting them with the Halfords Mudguards on initially, so I'd advise any other beginner like myself to if possible ask in a LBS for an experts opinion on whether or not they'll fit, but I eventually succeeded by using the same bolt hole on the frame for both the mudguards and the pannier supports. Still very steady.

Been on two 15 mile trips on Friday and Saturday, and it hasn't fallen off. Now to shop for a set of good bags to put on them! Someone on the forum has made a good offer too, but on top of this, thinking those Halfords basic twin panniers, so cheap that hopefully they don't get stolen.. and if they do, well, at leas they weren't very expensive?!

They're fitted to a Raleigh Edale Hybrid from Halfords, a nice little intro to commuting for the long term. If I can make this into a useful machine and keep up the cycling goals I have so far been faring well at then I'll invest in a serious bit of kit in a year or two. Enjoying the utility and commute cycling for now!

IMG_0885.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ortlieb are good, but a bit dear. You can pick up a pair of Front Roller Classics for £65 if you shop around.

The big advantage is that they are waterproof.

A note of warning. You rack does not have round section tubes for fitting panniers. Almost all modern, quality panniers uses some form of plastic, locking, quick-release mounting system which fits over and grips a rod or tubular rack. You find some non-locking hooks which fit, on cheaper panniers.

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
A note of warning. You rack does not have round section tubes for fitting panniers. Almost all modern, quality panniers uses some form of plastic, locking, quick-release mounting system which fits over and grips a rod or tubular rack. You find some non-locking hooks which fit, on cheaper panniers.

I was worried about this, might need some reinforcement cable ties until I have enough to replace it with a decent one!

I'm a believer if the bike is cheap, the accessories should be. I do plan on getting a higher quality setup in the future for for my 3 day a week 12 miles of cycling per day I think it'll suffice. And stand up to theft well enough.

Arellcat

You rack doesn't have a rear "leg", you may find that cheap panniers (without a sturdy inner back plate) will end up curling inwards and fouling your spokes.

Actually it does have a rear "leg", but the rack is installed back to front, and the stays are attached to the rear light bracket. Sorry, @cycle_bug . But in fairness, having the handle-shaped bit at the back is probably more useful for hefting the bike around – Urban Arrow cargo bikes have that detail specifically for lifting the back of the bike.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Actually it does have a rear "leg", but the rack is installed back to front, and the stays are attached to the rear light bracket. Sorry, @cycle_bug . But in fairness, having the handle-shaped bit at the back is probably more useful for hefting the bike around – Urban Arrow cargo bikes have that detail specifically for lifting the back of the bike.
Gooorhh, I hadn't even noticed that but you are indeed correct. The little silver blocks go on the underside of the rack.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No, modern, quality single panniers (such as Basil) have inverted-U-shape hooks which go over any tubes and a locking tab which flips out under any tube to stop the pannier bouncing off. Most of the junk we get in this country only fits over tubes, but not being able to use carp is no loss.

Double panniers will flop over anything, though.

And yes, that rack appears to be on backwards.

Top Bottom