Pannier rack, something not right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A rack that isn't level looks naff to me, although a decline towards the seatpost would improve heel clearance for panniers.

One make of panniers - might be Ortleib - has mounting brackets which enable rotation of the panniers for improved heel clearance.

D

Deleted member 1258

Last edited by a moderator:

0lonerider

Veteran

Attachments

• 20160430_120605.jpg
    20160430_120605.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 20160430_120419.jpg
    20160430_120419.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 133
This is an issue with most GT frames. The triple-triangle design forces the seatstay eyelets to be mounted very low, similar to the very smallest sized frames in normal bikes. You may be able to find a rack with shorter legs. You will always be using long rack-stays, so make sure they are made of rigid material, such as rods instead of strips of metal.

KneesUp

Guru
Rack is made for a bike with 700c wheels, not 26". the suggestion for some kind of clip to allow a different, horizontal connection seems to be the best solution.
This - the legs are too long because they are designed to make the 'deck' part clear a 700c wheel, not a 26" wheel.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
[QUOTE 4258452, member: 45"]The rack is fine. The issue is the frame configuration that GT use. Their seat stays meet the seat tube lower down than normal bikes, requiring longer straps.[/QUOTE]
Nothing wrong with the GT frame configuration. I think it is just that particular rack is not a good fit as with the rack level it is going to be an awful long way from the seat tube regardless of where the straps bolt to.
Maybe the best solution would be a rack suitable for the bike. I have the Blackburn MTN rack on my 700c GT hybrid and it fits fine, although admittedly it is built for 26" MTB wheels.

upload_2016-5-12_21-13-48.png

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4277648, member: 45"]I didn't say that there was, just that this rack wasn't designed to accommodate mounts as low as those on a GT frame.[/QUOTE]
Or as high as the chainstay mounts are.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
This rack was previously fitted to my road bike by the LBS, now put on the hybrid tonight. I've adjusted the silver straps to maximum, and they don't look like they've been trimmed, so why is it sitting at this angle?

Are there different racks for road bikes and hybrids?
View attachment 126420
Sorry, but imo that rack will never look right on that bike, no matter where the straps are fixed. Get one that'll fit properly, plus I reckon it'll vibrate on non smooth smooth surfaces if you use loooooong straps.

Top Bottom