Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
I bought some (very) cheap panniers for a 3 day ride. I usually do road cycling and not touring, hence not buying an expensive set.

Is it because they're cheap, or am I missing something, because the hooks very easily just pop over the rail and without any tension - if the hook alone was securing this, the first bump they'd fly off. OK there is a velcro backup and a bungee type hook too - but I am not really sure how I should fit this?

This is the back of the pannier:

11550_5.jpg

This is the rack:

TorTec-Ultralite-Rear-Rack-Pannier-Racks-Black-TTULTRB.jpg

I've got them. Hook the elasticated hook at the bottom of the rack, if necessary, shorten the elastic with a few knots. Put the metal hooks over the top rail and wrap the velcro around the top rail as well.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi!
Secure the bag to the rack with the velcro strap and the hooks.
Use the bungee's hook to give you heel clearance if needed - attach to the rack so that the panniers move backwards. If you don't need this, mind putting the hook well away from the spokes.
Your set up will work fine for a short tour.
Those panniers are not waterproof: either put your belongings in plastic bags, bin bags will do, or invest in waterproof covers. I got 2 for a tenner a while back:
Linky

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Sorry for being thick, but what should I hook the hook to? There is no joint in the rack such that the hook would stay in place, e.g. if you look to the bottom of the rack to the left, the hook would just ride up the left... Hmm the opposing side?

Heel clearance appears to be OK, even with my big feet! But I will do a test ride tomorrow by filling them up with something to double check.

Jumping panniers are a problem if you hit a pothole, speed bump or ride down a rough trail. Most modern panniers use locking hooks with a rotating fastener that captures the rack rod. Elastic lower fasteners are also a bit old fashioned, most now use a plastic hook just to prevent the pannier swaying.
If you want to make your mounts more secure, you can wrap some stuff under the rack and over the mount. A ziptie is semi-permanent. Electrical cable inner (the blue, red or yellow covered stuff) is pretty useful. Wire plant ties are a good temp solution.
Rixen and Kaul manufacture mounting systems and sell the whole mount to add to any pannier. You rivet on their rail to your pannier and slide on their hooks.

Rixen and Kaul manufacture mounting systems and sell the whole mount to add to any pannier. You rivet on their rail to your pannier and slide on their hooks.

Do you have a source for them? May possibly be handy for my karrimors if their long discontinued fixing system plays up. If not too expensive of course.

KneesUp

Guru
I bent the hooks on nine to make it a tighter fit. I also bought a short elastic cord with a book on each end, which is just the right length to go from the top rail, around the bottom of the rack and up to the D ring the original elastic was in before I snapped it. Mine have never come off. In fact I've torn the handle a bit on one because I'd bent the books too much ...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I understand your problem and have the solution.

Cheap panniers often dont fit the rails on the pannier rack. In fact you can get the same problem with expensive racks and panniers.

What you need to do is pad the rail out a bit so the books have something to grab onto. I used pieces of pipe insulation and Electric tape. Just measure where the books sit and cut the insulation a couple of centimeters longer.

You also need to secure the panniers at the bottom so they dont jump. Knicker elastic will do.

The problem using ties is that you cant get the panniers off.

Top Bottom