Panniers!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beasley

Ello guys. Me again...

I got some panniers yesterday but I sincerely doubt, after feeling the material they're made of, that they're waterproof.

Is there anything y'all know of that can waterproof my bags? Or a pannier-sized water proof sheet, or something like that available?

gavintc

Guru
Bin bags are a good cheap option. You can get more expensive options, but they are always heavier and less easy to replace. When I used to do a lot of hill walking, I used one bin bag for my rucksack as a liner and then wrapped my clothes / sleeping bag in smaller plastic bags.

OP
OP
B

beasley

By the sounds of it then, you can't make the outter pannier waterproof. In that case I'll just stuff all my bits in a couple of bin liners!

Cheers chaps :blush:

jay clock

Massive member
Not bin liners, they rip really easily. Use supermarket "bag for life" bags - ideal and you can lift them in and out really easily too

lowrider73

Before I invested in the Ortliebs, I used the rubble bags and can get them cheap in Wilko's. I always take a couple when I am cycle-camping, great as a sit-mat or a rain-cover with a cut-out for the neck.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
As an alternative to rubble sacks, befriend someone who works in a lab or hospital, and get them to nick a couple of yellow clinical waste bags.

Tough, waterproof, and (if used without the pannier) hi-viz.

Bodhbh

Guru
Uncle Phil said:
As an alternative to rubble sacks, befriend someone who works in a lab or hospital, and get them to nick a couple of yellow clinical waste bags.

Tough, waterproof, and (if used without the pannier) hi-viz.
Heh, I daresay the biohazard labels won't make your stuff particularly attractive to thiefs either. Not a bad idea in all seriousness, they are very tough and puncture resistant.

Tony

I once got asked to leave a Millett's shop in Canterbury. The salesman was explaining to "dad and lad" how a particularly crap rucksack would be 100% waterproof.
I couldn't help it, but maybe my laughter WAS a bit loud.....
Just accept that unless you are using top notch expensive stuff like Ortlieb, things will get wet, and may even do so in the best stuff. So wrap the good stuff up.

Top Bottom