Panorama: The Truth About Sports Products

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willo

I'm sure that there are extreme cases which require correction in the form of special shoes, but the conclusion of the scientists they interviewed was that for the overwhelming majority of people it is distance, intensity and running style that are the major predictors of injury and not the type of shoe.

Do you run heel or toe strike?

Heel (mostly) and I over-pronate......motion control shoes have really helped me with running. My point is more that these things often end up making a valid point but over emphasising one side to hit home the message......of course lots of £s are drawn by the marketing men for stuff folk don't need but equally there are some great products that really do provide benefit. Re the bit about distance, intensity and running style being the major predictors of injury, then of course there's no argument with that. The sublety (for me anyway) is not making the case that trainers in themselves cause injuries but that for many trainers can prevent them (i.e. mitigate certain running styles that would otherwise cause injury over distance and/or running at a certain intensity).

snorri

Legendary Member
But they didn't dare mention endurance sport athletes like cyclists who frequently do successfully consume energy drinks,bars and gels to good effects.
Only a tiny minority of cyclists would be classed as endurance sport athletes, but supplements are often recommended as essential kit along with a spare tube, for even relatively short outings on a bike.

Orange

These people out on a 5 mph jog for a couple of miles, who find it essential to carry a water bottle make me laugh. Bravo for getting out there and doing something but at that level of intensity you are not going to need a drink. Maybe it's extra weight for training their forearms at the same time.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Only a tiny minority of cyclists would be classed as endurance sport athletes, but supplements are often recommended as essential kit along with a spare tube, for even relatively short outings on a bike.
The "endurance sport athletes" who for the point being made would be the long distance commuters - the sportive riders - the century riders - the cat # racers - the domestic tour riders - marathon runners - triathletes - duathletes - swimmers and probably more. Doesn't matter how you group them up or what the term is,still doesn't change the fact the program was irrelevant to them.

Most people would be happy to be referred to as an athlete :laugh: But if you like I'll refer to you as something else :smile:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
This is kinda doing my swede in now, I'm doing a search and in the results there are two Panoramas available, both from two different dates, and both about fly tipping!

561ea2ba-888a-8749.jpg

561ea2ba-8897-1104.jpg

561ea2ba-88b3-490e.jpg

561ea2ba-88c1-134c.jpg

561ea2ba-88cb-9511.jpg

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm on the v+ box which virginmedia seem to deny exists. Sorry for taking this thread off-topic!

Sent from my FondleSlab using Tapatalk HD

T.M.H.N.E.T

So to sum up.

Water does exactly the same thing as Lucozade Sport, the latter actually lists water as it's no1 ingredient.

Electroytes didn't really seem to get much discussion: But if there is any merit to them then the average 30mins twice a week gym-mum isn't going to require them EVER.

Carbs: Again the gym-mum isn't going to require them in a bottle for a 30min treadmill walk. But given this is a cycling forum, we should all be aware that carb intake a couple hours into a ride is often an essential aspect. If that happens to be via gels,drink or cake then so be it.

BCAA's: Often in bold letters and mixed in big fancy tubs with whey protein yet no real evidence to back up the claims. (The claims made are based on the BCAA's not the protein! The documentary doesn't distinguish this fact)

Protein: Ideally protein should really come from your general diet, but sometimes this just isn't feasible. The program managed to label whey protein powders in the same group as the actual point being made(that was BCAA's being grossly expensive) as " an expensive way to get a bit of milk"

Do you absolutely "need" to buy protein shakes? Hell no, but read on :biggrin:

This might actually shock you. I priced these earlier today,using ASDA own brand products and myprotein.com
1 25g serving of impact whey protein made with water from myprotein.com contains 20g protein for a cost of 30p,
A pint of ASDA semi skimmed is 49p for 18g protein.
ASDA chicken breast is pretty much £1 per 100g, each breast being worth 30g protein.

That is £109.50 - £178.85 and £365 per year respectively.

Gentlemen start your keyboards!

Garz

Squat Member
There is no need for the supplements unless you do not have the time to eat/cook. I would only say they were useful for diets (weight loss) as I have seen obese children put on a supplement shake program and seen them lose weight.

On the sky bus the guys don't rally together for supper after the stage for a round of supplements then bed!

T.M.H.N.E.T

There is no need for the supplements unless you do not have the time to eat/cook. I would only say they were useful for diets (weight loss) as I have seen obese children put on a supplement shake program and seen them lose weight.

On the sky bus the guys don't rally together for supper after the stage for a round of supplements then bed!
Exactly. I've lost count of the number of people who completely didn't understand the point the article or program was making.

But I did find this!

View: http://youtu.be/06WRBI1NZpU

Top Bottom