Paper Helmet ??

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by Scoosh, 17 Nov 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed Rollin' along

Nobody is offering it for sale. It's a design competition with a hefty cash prize to fund further development.

Have you read the BBC article linked in the opening post or the design brief JJ posted a couple of pages or so ago? It may dispel any thoughts that this is a product ready for marketing.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Nov 2016
    CanucksTraveller and jonny jeez like this.
  2. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

I clarified this for you before, once again please see post 87:

Paper Helmet ??

3. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Again, please see post 87:

Paper Helmet ??

4. How many times Adrian

Yes. It offers protection. Perhaps you should take the time to review previous post including video footage of impact testing.

Then maybe you can stop asking the same question over and over...and getting the same answer.

5. Absolutely, the weather in the UK especially is always going to have a limiting impact on this products viability.

Thing is though....and the helmet haters will love this comment...even when wet and a bit soggy, its still probably no less safe than a solid full time lid. However as you say above as a design study its incredibly innovative and as a single use kid, mist likely just as protective as most lids...until it rains.

But then, just wait 5 minutes.

6. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

I agree it is very silly ....... You decided to choose a very limited and narrow use, one that designed to make the helmet fail - wearing to funerals and weddings, and this failed as a "test"

All cycle clothing fails in this respect, not just the helmet.

(Although I have been to a funeral in full cycling kit as this was what the family requested for a keen cyclist. We rode to the Crematorium as a group, and to the "Wake" after)

7. Moderators

Moderators Guru Moderator

Some posts have been removed, not by @shouldbeinbed. If you wish to discuss moderation do so either by the contact option or via Shaun.

jonny jeez likes this.
  8. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

I get what @Cunobelin and @jonny jeez are saying - and @shouldbeinbed said it also, the object is not ready for marketing and has won the award to develop it further.
    But I cannot help agreeing with @User: this is a case where money is awarded to a money making idea.
    The inventor never said her invention was to be an ornament, she clearly stated a prospective selling price and a market the helmet is aimed to.
    If this is not a business idea, I don't know what one would be!
    So, to be true to her innovative idea, the helmet must be made of paper or some other, disposable and foldable material.
    After all we already have "hard helmets" galore.

TinyMyNewt likes this.
  9. I have just finished my design on a northerner-beating-stick. It is elegant and stylish. I will post photos soon but the design is incredible. Some people are all getting upset they don't like sticks to beat northeners with but they should look beyond that and focus on the styling. It's up for a design award. I'm very proud of it.

I just ask you judge it on its merit or design rather than the pure functional use.

McWobble, theclaud, srw and 3 others like this.
  10. Or,we could judge it on the criteria set out with the competition brief.

just show me the criteria and I'll happily help.

MarquisMatsugae and david k like this.
  11. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

The world is a far bigger place than the UK. Plenty of places with high populations where rain is rare. As a product developer, your local market isn't always the one you design for.
    Good products needn't be introspective.

MarquisMatsugae and Pat "5mph" like this.
  12. McWobble

McWobble Euthermic

Cardboard is surprisingly strong. It is, after all, made out of the same material as wood - cellulose - so, weight for weight, is as strong as rigid as steel. With careful design, I see no reason why a cardboard wouldn't perform as well as a conventional helmet. I expect it to be as solid as is claimed. But note, @jonny jeez, that there are no claims about the helmet actually meeting any accepted standards. A bicycle helmet that does not meet even the dismal standards of EN1078 cannot receive a CE mark and be sold in the EU. In law it is not fit for purpose. So you cannot say that it offers protection. It very well may do - but that hasn't been proven yet.

Given that, you might wonder just why aircraft and bridges aren't made of cardboard. Or perhaps not, you're probably more than aware of the pesky fact that cardboard disintegrates when it gets wet! A plane in which the wings fall off in a shower isn't much good (especially if you're at 3,000 feet at the time!). Considering the complex construction of this helmet - which is crucial for its strength - even a small amount of dampness is highly likely to severely compromise its ability to provide any meaningful protection.

From an engineering perspective, unfortunately this could not be more wrong:
    Except it's actually worse than that - sweat will cause just as much damage as rain. A cardboard, or papier mache, helmet will break down on a hot day, or if you're working hard. Now, the article talks about there being a protective layer. The problem is, sebum from the skin, and salt from sweat are very good at breaking down such protection - so the "3-4 hours" rain resistance is optimistic. It is likely to be much less, especially on hot days when the user will most likely be unaware of just how much damage perspiration is doing to their helmet. This sort of invisible failure mode is very bad indeed, and one that engineers tend to try and avoid wherever possible. Durability is thus also questionable even in places where (unlike Wet West Britain) it doesn't rain often.

In short, its lack of reliable water protection is a severe show stopper.

User1252, TinyMyNewt, User231 and 2 others like this.
  13. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Yep. I'm also wondering what innovative alternative uses New Yorkers will find for it. There's got to be some way of tying two together to make a ball for catch and football, hasn't there? :laugh:

User1252 likes this.
  14. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

surely a bit of wax treatment could make it more resilient to moisture. I'm sure they're not made from paper hand towels.

15. Sounds to me like an engineering brain and a design brain should get together and create a market ready product.

Which is one of the objectives that this design competition is aiming to facilitate.

I appreciate your objective, engineering view though, interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice