Paper Helmet ??

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by Scoosh, 17 Nov 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is the nub of the whole discussion here. You clearly don't agree with the application and that's fair enough...I'm on the fence myself.

But you are allowing that disagreement to colour your appreciation of the design, to the point that you will assume that items like crash protection were part of the design criteria and were weighted sufficiently to result in failure,,or non compliant submission.

It's proven that these Chinese lantern lids offer protection and most likely enough protection to meet the design criteria.

Perhaps not enough protection to satisfy you or maybe even me...but then no lid will ever do that In reality.

2. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

I agree about the general usage, but sooner or later there will be a flash shower, or a spilt coffee, something that makes the helmet wet.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  3. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

I think that we could easily be sidetracked here, but.....

The "design" of something like this and the consequent award is about pushing boundaries, using materials in a new way, and in doing so provoking thought, perhaps inspiring someone else to take the idea, or one of its elements further

Perhaps it is my age, but I think of items like the Sinclair Watch, poor battery life, static from your clothing could cause the thing to reset and it was totally unreliable...... yet developments on this basic design have led to the modern watches and even fitness rackers

Also take the original computers..... They were again flawed, and 64k was considered as being more memory than anyone would ever need.but developments on the design have led to modern home computing

Design, even award winning design does not have to be a complete and finished fully functioning product - it is a piece of design

4. I agree and this will likely become a warning at point of vend (along with reams of warnings that any lid is not a guarantee of safety etc. )

We accept all sorts of limits on design because it makes sense. Sell by and eat by dates,, weight limits on carbon frames. We cannot "design out" all of the imperfections of life and at some point need to accept personal responsibility.

If it rains hard and you are wearing a Chinese lantern lid...it will likely cease to meet the design criteria, so go fetch another or take it off.

Yellow Saddle likes this.
  5. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

What are all of these criteria and how does this item answer them all "very well"?

Surely the primary (intended) function of this device is protection. How can that possibly be described as a bonus?

Pat "5mph" and TinyMyNewt like this.
  6. http://www.jamesdysonaward.org/the-brief/

Take a look for yourself.

And no, the primary criteria of the brief was nothing of the sort...rightly or wrongly.

Again, it's not about whether the product should exist and as such what safety criteria we may wish to place on it. The criteria were, broadly concentrating on commercial viability, engineering, Developement of design, sustainability and lack of ip infringement.

7. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

Your statement about appreciation with objectivity rings with me in particular. However, it seems to me you stand no chance of getting your point across in such an emotive crowd. The fact that each post has to be moderated and slow-released like a poison pill makes me wonder. One can only duck so many barbs before you have to hightail it out. I'm off to research the aesthetics of fur coats.

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Nov 2016
  8. It's really not. In truth the competition makes no mention of it in the criteria.

I only really mention it because, it has been proven to offer protection and this might (although as @Yellow Saddle points out it's unlikely ) help those who can't make a distinction between the design (and design competition) and the application appreciate it more.

It offers protection, that's a fact. The level of protection is your and others issue

As I say above those that feel strongly about helmets and question their existence, or perhaps use, will never accept that this design meets their own standards of safety criteria...because no helmet ever will in their minds.

It's worthy of the win.

CanucksTraveller likes this.
  9. Yes.

Some.

CanucksTraveller and Drago like this.
  10. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

If it is just an ornament, who would wear it, and when? It's pretty unisex, so men and women could choose it to wear to a wedding, or a funeral. It could be specially colour or pattern coordinated to match an outfit. Can anyone honestly see a future for this masterpiece of design smartness?

Pat "5mph" and theclaud like this.
  11. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

The answer you are seeking is already in the thread

See Paper Helmet ??

12. Adrian, as has been stated over and over. The Dyson design award is not judged on the criteria that you want it judged.

Perhaps you need to start your own design competition and you can include whatever criteria floats your boat.

CanucksTraveller likes this.
  13. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

Yes, would be ok with me, as long as it was marketed as an ornament or as a novelty object that is maybe good only for one cuppa.
    Trouble here is that a cycling helmet is supposed to be safety equipment.
    Of course we all know the limitations of a chocolate teapot, but imo the limitations of this paper helmet are not yet known.
    When they will be known, will the limitations be in very, very small print on the inside?
    You could not bank on the weather here: for a start it could be sunshine one minute, pouring rain the next.
    I've seen a NextBike (our Boris bikes) in the park tonight. There's sheet ice about.
    All kind of folks use the Next Bikes here, even regular cyclists with their own bike, when they don't want to lock it up in town for example.
    Of course, they could provide their own helmets, so maybe they would not buy a paper one.
    I get what you mean for single use, but one could hit their head pretty badly even on a 5 minute ride.
    So, I could perhaps concede the title of "innovative design" to the object.
    Innovative but single use only: just like a chocolate teapot then ^_^

jonny jeez likes this.
  14. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

As repeatedly pointed out, it is a design item...... and one which succeeds in this context

It explores concepts, and as a helmet it is successful in that it functions as such.

If you want to wear a helmet then it is probably no better or no worse than many others on the market..... which really answers the question as to when it would be worn and yes there is a future if as intended with a design item it triggers further development and improvement. Suppose someone takes the design and than uses a light plastic and solves the waterproofing problem

Applying a bizarre set of criteria in order to try and ridicule the item merely shows this misunderstanding

Now apply the question to any item of cycle clothing such as my waterproof jacket, SPD shoes or bib tights (All of which have won design awards) ................ They're pretty unisex, so men and women could choose to wear them to a wedding, or a funeral. They could be a special colour or pattern coordinated to match an outfit.

As a test most cycle equipment fails .........Can anyone honestly see a future for any cycle specific clothing?

CanucksTraveller and jonny jeez like this.
  15. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

Now that is just silly. If it's a helmet, it should offer protection. If it's a hat, it should be aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps it's just a bit of art. The functions of the other examples you suggest are clearly defined, and their forms follow from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice