Paper Helmet ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
How could anyone reasonably hope to separate the design of a helmet from the underlying issues about the function of helmets per se?

Since there are people who are prepared to wear them, it should be possible to discuss the design of this particular thing without conceding it (or a standard polystyrene helmet) is as effective as some would believe/hope.

How could anyone reasonably hope to separate the design of a helmet from the underlying issues about the function of helmets per se?

The underlying issues are subjective and apparently highly personal and also irrationally emotional in this case. Fact is, some people feel safer when wearing helmets and apparently using a conventionally designed helmet under certain circumstances is inconvenient. This design addresses that fear/need and inconvenience - or not. We debate whether it does meet the stated requirement or not.

Further, by dismissing the idea just because the underlying function is perhaps invalid, limits thought, development and change. It is narrow-minded. I liken it to me dismissing the fashion industry with its models and catwalks and fans and groupies and magazines and larger-than-life designers because I think I can buy clothes cheaper at a supermarket. Some people want fashion and they don't deny the rest of us anything by creating and supporting a fashion industry. Let them have it. I can still debate the season's trends and perhaps even appreciate the craftmanship that went into those creations without buying a single item like that.

I think bodybuilding is a sport without a purpose, but hell, I do appreciate the effort those people put into their work.

hatler

Guru
Really, what problem does the iphone solve... And where is the evidence to support that ...keep in mind it is one of the best selling products in the planet.
Fair point.

What this means that 'smart' in this context is a smart bit of marketing to part people from their cash where there is no underlying need to. And sadly, this feeds the idea that cycling is dangerous enough to warrant wearing a bit of paper. I call that 'bad' or 'wrong'. (I have all the best words. :-) )

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Fair point.

What this means that 'smart' in this context is a smart bit of marketing to part people from their cash where there is no underlying need to. And sadly, this feeds the idea that cycling is dangerous enough to warrant wearing a bit of paper. I call that 'bad' or 'wrong'. (I have all the best words. :-) )
Sure but I am not commenting on the products value or worth.

Just its design.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Easily.

Its called objectivity, some liken it to a broad mind.

Or are you going to suggest that this comment was subtlety mocking those who cannot drop their narrow mindedness.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Moderator note:

Since it appears that some of you cannot discuss the product without also debating the efficacy of helmets generally, the thread has been moved into the helmet forum.

As you may already have noticed, all posts now require moderator approval before they appear. Those which do not add anything useful to the discussion will not be approved.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Video here shows the test:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6FCnwGtW1tA

I'm not sure the efficacy of a one-ride helmet though. Apparently designed to be recycled at the end of the ride.

Helpful video thanks.

So,it is designed to be disposable and delivered via a vend machine. Very clever and very simple.

Impressive test video too. I'm sure a full time lid will Have additional,advantages to those who wish to,wear them, like water proofing and wear n tear, along with repeated useability.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Or the expense. Even if it's $5, that's probably more than the cost of the bike rental.

I wonder, when they say recycled do they mean offered for sale to the next rider (yuk) or retained and remanufactured?

And this caption is bollocks:

View attachment 151496

The biggest obstacle to giving people the confidence to ride safely in cities is the lack of safe infrastructure.
It's definitely more expensive than a days bike rental,in London.

Which is £2.00, if you stick to repetitive short journeys. (The most I've spent on a bori so bike is £12 and I'm not sure how I did that but otherwise my rides (which are daily now) are all a couple of,quid.

That said, if people,want one, it's a very clever way to design one that can be flat packed and delivered via a vend point. Plus it seems to offer pretty good protection, for,a cycle helmet.

It would make sense to a least offer the loan of a proper helmet at the time the cycle is being hired.
I can reply now this is in the helmet section.......

There was a company a few years ago were trying to provide helmets for the "Boris Bikes"

It was an ill thought out and ill informed attempt to impose helmets

They lasted a few weeks before withdrawing

Key points were:

How do you actually guarantee that the helmet is intact and has not been dropped or damaged by a previous user
How do yo arrange cleaning between users to avoid scalp infections and infestation
How do you guarantee that the individual wears the helmet properly, with correct fit and adjustment ... which can actually increase the injury in an accident

Helmets for hire cycles are more likely to be a hazard than a benefit

I didn't have the exact drop distance at hand, nor the shape of the anvil. Hence my approximation. However, I think (someone will correct me if they care) the original anvil is sharpish, whereas this one had a large surface area. I thought the helmet did a good job of absorbing some of that energy. I would rather have that on my head when meeting a hammer like that, than nothing. Honeycombed paper absorbs energy remarkably well.

As always, these tests are brilliant:

1. They prove that cyclists would benefit from wearing melons on their head
2. The "test" proves that you need helmets for every activity ..... and widens the helmet debate to everything from pedestrians to cooking

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
This is not a helmet thread. It is a design thread.

Whether you like the product, or agree with its use, or not it... is a very neat price of design.

Your criteria for a "good" product is very narrow.

Sure but I am not commenting on the products value or worth.

Just its design.
Well, if we are discussing the aesthetics, it sure is ugly ... imo.
If we are discussing the how innovative the material is, paper can be made very robust, it is already known: example link (we use similar at work).
All in all, at first glance, I'm thinking chocolate teapot :laugh:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Well, if we are discussing the aesthetics, it sure is ugly ... imo.
If we are discussing the how innovative the material is, paper can be made very robust, it is already known: example link (we use similar at work).
All in all, at first glance, I'm thinking chocolate teapot :laugh:
i am not really commenting on the aesthetic, that's too subjective. As far as the innovation, yep I agree paper is a very useful material.

my appreciation of the design is around the design criteria and the way in which this product design answers them all, very well.

Many have tried before and failed with super complex and expensive examples. The simplicity of this design is astounding, that's what I see as its success...and "neatness", when you look at is purely as a piece of design work you can start to appreciate how smart it is.

The fact that it might actually work is a bonus, it is after all a concept.

There is a very good argument that those who cannot appreciate a design with objectivity may also struggle to appreciate other forms of creativity, such as art, literature or music...simply because they are not a fan of the genre, the artist or the application.

So @User , can you see the Kings new clothes? (That's a joke by the way, I appreciate the cross argument)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom