Paper Helmet ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
At least they're stylish.
Untitled.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
She's got the prize to develop it, so it's not ready for Market yet. I think we can assume that it performed well enough to give them confidence it could be made to meet the standards
I think you're being generous. 10 pounds over 3 feet isn't really very much.

I think you're being generous. 10 pounds over 3 feet isn't really very much.
Well, that's pretty much the standard test. An iron anvil of a certain weight dropped over that type of distance onto the helmet. I don't doubt it's efficacy compared to polystyrene helmets.

However, science is getting in the way of a good laugh here. How many other helmet materials are good for wiping your arse in an emergency?

I think it is another one of those ideas/inventions that shouldn`t be successful but probably will be. The problem is that some occasional cyclists will believe they are well protected.

Last edited:

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I think the idea that it will be used by people that wouldn't have otherwise worn a helmet is good but I seriously doubt it's effectiveness in blocking the signals the government are trying to send to my brain.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm not sure the efficacy of a one-ride helmet though.

Or the expense. Even if it's $5, that's probably more than the cost of the bike rental.

Apparently designed to be recycled at the end of the ride.
I wonder, when they say recycled do they mean offered for sale to the next rider (yuk) or retained and remanufactured?

And this caption is bollocks:

helmet confidence.jpg

The biggest obstacle to giving people the confidence to ride safely in cities is the lack of safe infrastructure.

Made of the same material as coffee cups.......

Wait until Hugh Fearnley-Eatitall hears about that

We will have a massive campaign for the recycling of cycle helmets

I'm not sure the efficacy of a one-ride helmet though. Apparently designed to be recycled at the end of the ride.
That's not what it says in the article.

"The helmet is designed for a limited number of uses and will deteriorate and weaken over time, especially if carried around at the bottom of a bag. The final design is likely to have a visible stripe that will wear off when it is time to throw it away or a clip that ceases to work after a certain amount of time."

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well, that's pretty much the standard test. An iron anvil of a certain weight dropped over that type of distance onto the helmet. I don't doubt it's efficacy compared to polystyrene helmets.
Is three feet or roughly 0.9m (the test height here) really the same "type of distance" as 1.5m (the EN test height) or 2m (the CPSC test height)? Seems off by a noticeable % there, especially given acceleration is m/s², and ten pounds seems quite a bit lighter than 6.1kg and even a bit shy of the CPSC 5kg.

However, science is getting in the way of a good laugh here. How many other helmet materials are good for wiping your arse in an emergency?
:laugh:

I think it is another one of those ideas/inventions that shouldn`t be successful but probably will be. The problem is that some occasional cyclists will believe they are well protected.
Don't worry: Darwin's theory should make that belief die out eventually...

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It would make sense to a least offer the loan of a proper helmet at the time the cycle is being hired.

Aside from a helmet not being necessary, there are too many problems with your idea. Helmets are not 'one size fits all', which is another reason I see this paper helmet idea failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom