Paper Helmet ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It would make sense to a least offer the loan of a proper helmet at the time the cycle is being hired.
They have tried that in Melbourne, one of the only cities with mandatory helmets and a cycle share scheme. The cycle share scheme is failing badly, and the cheap helmets offered by stores nearby don't seem to helping much. The helmets are even cheaper than this paper one (subsidised)and just as ugly

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That's not what it says in the article.

That claim is made in the video.

Is three feet or roughly 0.9m (the test height here) really the same "type of distance" as 1.5m (the EN test height) or 2m (the CPSC test height)? Seems off by a noticeable % there, especially given acceleration is m/s², and ten pounds seems quite a bit lighter than 6.1kg and even a bit shy of the CPSC 5kg.

I didn't have the exact drop distance at hand, nor the shape of the anvil. Hence my approximation. However, I think (someone will correct me if they care) the original anvil is sharpish, whereas this one had a large surface area. I thought the helmet did a good job of absorbing some of that energy. I would rather have that on my head when meeting a hammer like that, than nothing. Honeycombed paper absorbs energy remarkably well.

Whether you like helmets or not, this is smart piece of design.
I can't agree more. Without thinking like this we'll get nowhere.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Whether you like helmets or not, this is smart piece of design.
Why? What's good about it? To be good design something needs to look good and perform well. This product looks horrible and (absent proper testing) no-one knows how well it performs.

I think there is more of an issue about whether it's needed. I think we can rule out safety, per se, as there are very very few injuries with Boris bikes. As for making the riders feel safer, is that a real issue. The Boris bikes are very well used, to the point of being unavailable at certain times. And if people feel helmets are essential, surely some people would take theirs with them when they intend to ride a bike. I haven't observed that (though I may be out of touch, so correct me if I am wrong and people our now bringing helmets to ride in London).

And as I said above, helmets - for whatever reason - have had a deleterious effect on bike share in Melbourne.

hatler

Guru
And, if it purports to solve a problem, there has to be evidence that there is a problem in the first place ...

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Why? What's good about it? To be good design something needs to look good and perform well. This product looks horrible and (absent proper testing) no-one knows how well it performs.
Good looks are totally subjective.

What it does achieve is a very clever, low cost, lightweight and likely disposable solution to those wishing to wear some form of lid when they rent a cycle.

Carrying a lid to work, or into town for a days sightseeing, is a major faff.

These things could almost be disposable and even branded I very smart ways.

Plus the Chinese lantern design is beautiful and equally simple.

Whether you like the product, or agree with its use, or not it... is a very neat price of design.

Your criteria for a "good" product is very narrow.

Do antibiotics look good, do VW beetles perform well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom