Paper Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Once again - thank you for confirming the issues with your posts.

Yes I am aware it is a joke helmet...that is why it has been made to look like human brains.

Despite my best efforts to explain this including a link to the site you are still claiming that it is a helmet!
IT IS NOT A HELMET _ IT IS A FOAM COVER

Again to quote the website :

Nogin Sox, are an innovative soft-foam helmet covers that attach easily to your protective helmet with hook and loop fasteners
Cunobelin...I honestly think you are losing it. I don't think it healthy that you are behaving this way so I'm not going to encourage you any more..

So you are stating that pointing out that you are totally wrong in your claims that this is a helmet at all is "losing it"

All I can really do in that case is point out that this is the Planet that most of us live on and suggest that you visit it at some point

tag-planet-earth-images-pictures-and_210743.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

U

User482

2875751 said:
I understand that. I am thinking more of the greater good.

I think the greater good is best served by cycling instead of driving, and not being a dick when you do so. I see the whole helmet debate as an unhelpful distraction, and I'm not convinced that a personal decision to wear one or not makes very much difference to policy makers.

swansonj

Guru
I think the greater good is best served by cycling instead of driving, and not being a dick when you do so. I see the whole helmet debate as an unhelpful distraction, and I'm not convinced that a personal decision to wear one or not makes very much difference to policy makers.
On the point of principle, I think history is stuffed full of examples where policy makers have only been enabled to create a bad policy because sufficient individual people had taken to doing the thing that the policy will subsequently legitimise and compel. You might argue that helmets are an exception, but I suggest there's pretty strong precedent that this is the way the world works.

U

User482

2876535 said:
Compare and contrast The Netherlands with Australia.

I've made it clear on several occasions that I oppose compulsion. I also think that Dutch cyclists should be able to wear helmets if they want to.

U

User482

On the point of principle, I think history is stuffed full of examples where policy makers have only been enabled to create a bad policy because sufficient individual people had taken to doing the thing that the policy will subsequently legitimise and compel. You might argue that helmets are an exception, but I suggest there's pretty strong precedent that this is the way the world works.

A quick google suggests that only a minority of Australians wore helmets before they became compulsory. My (limited) observations of cycling in Europe are that - with the exceptions of the Netherlands and Denmark - helmet wearing is fairly widespread yet there doesn't seem to be a blanket demand for compulsion.

I'm not seeing the correlation...

U

User482

2876556 said:
I know you have but there is more to it than that. There is the issue of promoting the myth that cycling is a dangerous activity.

Yes, that is a risk. I just don't see it as a very big one.

U

User482

2876560 said:
Where cycling is viewed as a normal way to get about, people don't wear helmets so much. Where it is viewed as a sporting activity they do.

There may be something in that. But I note that a small minority of Germans wear helmets, yet politicians are attempting to make them compulsory.

U

User482

2876577 said:
The number wearing is not the only factor obviously. A high number wearing just makes it easier to describe it as the norm and to marginalise disagreement.

All I'm saying is the incidence of voluntary helmet wearing doesn't appear to correlate with individual countries' attempts to make them compulsory.

U

User482

2876597 said:
Maybe yes maybe no. Why take the risk though?

We're back to my view that if there is a risk, it's a small one, so it's not something I worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom