Parenting..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddy01

...it's really bloody difficult isn't it!?

Observations from today:

1. Who knew it was possible for something so small (9 month old) to produce quite such an amount of snot.

2. Sleep apparently is something that happens to other people.

3. There's not enough Sudocrem in the world when it comes to dicky tummy induced nappy rash. I think there could be a market to supply it by the barrel so I could just dip his entire lower half in it.

4. We're on our 3rd diagnosis (a virus) in as many weeks from the GP. I think I'll just take a dart board next time, 20 possible diagnosis options, nothing in this game for 2 in a bed, non-darts player to throw first.

5. Tonight's curry with the other dads from the NCT group is going to have to seriously impress to take the edge off today.

I can't believe I was ever fool enough to think, "seriously, how hard can it be.."

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It changes over time - it definitely gets less exhausting over time, but becomes more complicated in other ways. And there is always something to worry about. But they are worth it! (Just think of their smile).

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I LOVE my NCT dad's nights! The NCT classes were pretty good but they don't prepare you for running around after a naked one year old pleading with her to put a nappy on because you KNOW she's in need of a wee and is favouring your cream coloured carpets as a testing ground for trying to walk while farting, and you just know that each fart reduces the time margin till one of those odd tricolore poos falls out, and then you'll have to be damn quick or she'll pick it up, or post it through the catflap, where it will land in your slipper that was posted through just a few minutes ago.

Dear lord why the hell do we have so many light coloured furnishings, we've had cats for fifteen years! Same cats too, my god they're old, nice though. I've gone a bit off point here, but that's because I haven't slept much FOR A farkING YEAR!

On the whole though yes, those little magnum ice creams are probably better than fab lollies.

*falls of chair, falls asleep*

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My three are all now teenagers. The return of bathroom privacy was gradual, but precious!! I can now lock the door, have a bath or have a dump in peace!!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My three are all now teenagers. The return of bathroom privacy was gradual, but precious!! I can now lock the door, have a bath or have a dump in peace!!!
Yes - but can you get in the room in the first place and it is now clutter up with lots of different bits of make-up and various different smelling containers - and the empty bottles of shampoo etc have started their own breeding program!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Even with the door locked my peace would be interrupted by a very curious son who'd ask questions like:

How long is a million seconds?
How do we manage to blow hot and cold air from the same mouth?
In a fight, who would win, a lion or a tiger?, a mastadon or a iguanadon?

He was a very same son who'd called his penis 'Chad'

When we commented in the sensibility of the name his response was: 'I had considered calling it Botswana but I didn't think people could remember that'

I was wiping tears from my eyes for a couple of minutes after that.

tadpole

I'm guessing you have boys, I've a girl who will given half a chance spend 2.4 eons in the bathroom, fixing an eyebrow. and gets all upinyourface, if you ask after half an hour of running a bath, if she is planning on bathing or swimming. I look back on sleepless nights and Sh*** nappys with fondness compared to sullen silences and dirty looks.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Even with the door locked my peace would be interrupted by a very curious son who'd ask questions like:

How long is a million seconds?
How do we manage to blow hot and cold air from the same mouth?
In a fight, who would win, a lion or a tiger?, a mastadon or a iguanadon?

He was a very same son who'd called his penis 'Chad'

When we commented in the sensibility of the name his response was: 'I had considered calling it Botswana but I didn't think people could remember that'

I was wiping tears from my eyes for a couple of minutes after that.
Excellent. Is he the curly haired kid in "Outnumbered" ?

OP
OP
paddy01

paddy01

I can cope with most of it, this morning I'm afraid I hit then end of me tether at 6am trying to clean up a messy nappy from the boy with a very sore bout of nappy rash.. the fact it had to be done and there was little I could do to take away the obvious discomfort and pain turned out to be something I was definitely not prepared for.

I think I read somewhere that men have an innate need to 'fix' things and the fact that I couldn't in this case definitely got to me.

Still, when he's on form he's an absolute joy, hilariously chipper wee fellow, though strong willed even at 9 months and an absolute speed demon in his walker across our wooden floor... why do I get the feeling we'll be the parents who's child has their own dedicated A&E cubicle and we'll be the ones most often called to the head teachers office :biggrin:

Don't forget how quickly you will age too, or more accurately 'what the hell happened to the noughties?' This is more apparent when you watch old Top of the Pops and realise the music you liked and had time to listen to is now 20 years old :eek:
The years disappeared somewhere while we were (and still are) raising the 2 kids during the times they need you most. Think its because you don't actually get much of time of your own, most revolves around them. Just something for you to look forward to.:thumbsup:
Still wouldn't change any of it though.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm guessing you have boys, I've a girl who will given half a chance spend 2.4 eons in the bathroom, fixing an eyebrow. and gets all upinyourface, if you ask after half an hour of running a bath, if she is planning on bathing or swimming. I look back on sleepless nights and Sh*** nappys with fondness compared to sullen silences and dirty looks.

Girls, actually... but we've got 2 bathrooms, one which they destroy/use, and one for me (and mrs Fnaar) to poo in peace. It doesn't have a proper floor at the moment, but seeing as i don't have a shed, it performs the same 'quiet personal space' role for me, and i spend hours soaking in the bath and listening to music. :smile:

Top Bottom