Parents fitter than kids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
I can still nail my 16 yo(racing snake build) on most things and atm I’m not particularly fit. I say most as in some ways he has potential to be a machine but he’s yet to have true mental resilience, when he does I’m screwed even if fit. My youngest is built differently, more so brick shithouse, battering ram type. It takes a lot for him to throw the towel in.
My aim as a father(beyond many other things) was/is to keep up with them as long as possible. Both for my health and as encouragement for them to have a healthy outlook.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Define fitness.

I'm fitter than my 15 year old nephew as I can cycle faster and further than him, but on the other hand my 15 year old nephew is fitter than me because he can play 90 minutes of football and I would be knackered just doing the warm up.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I would be surprised if the average 15 year old is less fit than the average parent (of say 45-50). You guys forget that you are all probably quite a bit fitter than most people your age simply by doing a bit of cycling, even if it is just recreational. Most middle aged folk are unfit, even if slim, and many of them (me included) are overweight.

Elder Son asked me if I'd like to ride to the tram stop with him on his way to work. He then shot off before I'd got on my bike and headed off up the hill. I am very proud to say I managed to catch up with him halfway up.

The fact he rides a full suspension bike with 1.5 bar knobbly tyres and I was on my rando with 4 bar may have had something to do with this, but I'm still milking it for all it is worth...

Also, don't tell him how long I had to sit down after I got back...

Last edited:
Top Bottom