Parents fitter than kids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This doesn't surprise me, as it seems many parents are outsourcing stuff you'd expect to do with their kids. My brother and his partner have my mum look after their daughter a lot whilst they do their adult interests. They go to the gym where their daughter does get to follow by example. She has completed her bike ability training but neither my brother or partner take her cycling. My mother does her best but she is now slowing down as age catches up.

https://road.cc/content/news/266069-parents-are-fitter-kids-according-survey

Wish I was close enough to take my niece cycling and develop her enjoyment of it. Rather than parents saying they are fitter than their children I wish they'd encourage their children in activities as a family involving exercise from a young age. If the habits are not developed early on it can be difficult to pick it up when an adult.

Sigh...

Yeah right. Parents reckon they're fitter than their kids, sure. I mean lots of adults suffer from this delusion and most of them are not living in reality. My kids were faster and fitter by the time they were 14 or so and getting faster whilst I was getting slower. I bet it's bollocks.

pjd57

Veteran
I was lucky enough to enjoy cycling with our 12 year old grandson over the summer. The wee guy loves cycling and goes to a boxing club as well.

I don't think either of his parents could join us on our rides.

screenman

Legendary Member
My eldest is an Ironman, I am not.
My middle son a very fit ex national tumbling champion, I am not.
My youngest son was playing for Lincoln Rugby club 1st team at 18, he is extremely fit and 33 years younger than me.

So I guess despite being fit for my advancing years the kids are certainly fitter.

screenman

Legendary Member
Im 63 and none of my children can keep up with me on a 50+ mile cycle .

Can they run or swim faster though, I thought I was fit until I took up swimming.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mine are ok. My oldest is heavily into her martial arts and white collar boxing, and her workouts would make me puke at my age. I'm beyond the point where I can spar with her, I just end up black and blue and hobbling everywhere for a few days if I try. When she was younger 3 lads robbed her - she got a broken jaw, but hit one of them so hard she split his stomach.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm fitter than my kids. Eldest (22 yo) who is a right skinny bugger asked me to take him for a game of tennis t'other week. Went on the bikes, and he says you can go faster dad I'll keep up, so off I went and knackered him out before we got to the courts. Then promptly thrashed him.

Puts me in mind of 'competitive dad'
On what was it?? 'The Fast Show'.:smile:

I am presently fitter than my kids,
They both work full time, albeit at on their feet all day jobs.

I work all day, and half the weeks evenings on my feet.

But also have the 'luxury' of a few weeks off each year, for hillwalking (mountains actually.. But we say 'hills' to be self deprecatingly British)
And cycle touring.

Both kids were brought up to be active, but I think its kinda weird if they don't go through a rebellious 'cba' phase.

I mean sitting around smoking dope, and developing an air of insouciance about everything - esp anything your parents are into - is a right of passage right??

They're out the other side, of that now, and getting out again .

Give it a few years and they'll be able to keep up again.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm fitter than my kids..
But you're fitter than >99% of the population so not really a fair argument :laugh:

No kids of our own, but a 15 year old foster daughter, who has been with us 9 years & despite all the encouragement we can give, is still less fit than myself & my wife, but then again as a 15 year old I used to cycle a bit (in hilly West Yorkshire) but not as fit as I am now at 50 years old, so not sure if it's a generation thing, or just a realisation thing? As you get older you realise you need to be more active, or you get more larger :laugh:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I am currently fitter at cycling than my 15 year old. However in general he is way fitter than me. He goes running and to the gym most days and plays hockey at an elite level. If he cycled regularly he would be far quicker than me in no time. I need something to be better than him at, so will avoid encouraging him too much yet... :blush::laugh:

Top Bottom