Parents fitter than kids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah well, I've never found violence to solve very much.
They're hard working little blighters now, and we all get on horribly well.

He who is innocent can cast the first stone etc etc

Sure I annoyed my parents too, from time to time.

I'd avoid violence by chucking them our if I caught them behaving as per the scenario described. And fortunately I'm not religious, so pay no need to misquoted nonsensical biblical phrases.

I undoubtedly annoyed my parents, but there's a big gulf between being annoying and being a little sheet.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I ride with guys younger than my kids. I can't keep up with them.

lane

Veteran
my son can keep up with me on a 100 mile bike ride and he is quicker up hill but he does way does less cycling than me. Swimming he is loads better than me. He just did his silver DofE expedition over the hot bank holiday weekend which would probably have finished me off. My daughter I am better at cycling but she can walk up a steep hill quicker than me. Swimming we might be about the same. I have always encouraged them in sport / fitness activities to the detriment of my own.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'd avoid violence by chucking them our if I caught them behaving as per the scenario described. And fortunately I'm not religious, so pay no need to misquoted nonsensical biblical phrases.

I undoubtedly annoyed my parents, but there's a big gulf between being annoying and being a little sheet.

Ah well,

Wouldn't it be dull if we were all the same. :smile:

But tis often remarked what nice, personable, well rounded, hardworking human beings, my kids have turned out to be..

I s'pose all these informants are as misguided in this belief, as am i.

Religious beliefs (none in my case) notwithstanding.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Before he went off for his third year attachment GtiJunior used to cycle with me and my buddies, all in our 60s. He definitely had more explosive power and could easily beat us in a sprint, especially after sitting on the back and conserving energy but he lacked long-time stamina and mental toughness. To get him out of bed or tear him away from the computer I needed to think up interesting rides with objectives like cafés or train-assisted or wind-assisted rides; he wasn't keen to go out just for the exercise.

hoopdriver

Guru
Im 63 and none of my children can keep up with me on a 50+ mile cycle .
Ditto, except I'm 61.

I don't say that as a boast, but rather in disappointment.

Oh come on. We have to ask our kids to do simple things like programme the computer, and they could individually beat me to a pulp with one arm behind their back.

I have to believe I'm better than them at something.

In practice I can out distance them on a bike, but they can swim further than me by a long way. Mind you I have the swimming ability of a lead brick so that's not too hard.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Currently I could probably just out cycle my eldest two kids who are young adults. But they gain fitness and strength very quickly. My son after 3 or 4 rides was able to match me in a sprint, only endurance was he lacking.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When I was in my teens I cycled everywhere because there was little alternative as cars were not as available as today and while there was a good bus service money was tight. My grandchildren cycle a lot for utility purposes so get reasonable exercise. They are probably not as fit as I was at their age but not far off I reckon. Both parents go to a gym about 5 days per week and they also cycle with the family so probably they are all about equal fitness.

Top Bottom