Paris-Brest-Paris 18-22 August 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You can if you take both with you. Your PBP kit will stink by the end of the event so best to have some other kit to change into when you finish. A bag of stuff you leave in Rambouillet works perfectly for this. Nice clean kit for riding back in.
Will you be (would you plan to be) riding back in bib tights to a French port in 22+ degrees? No, I didn't think so, clean or otherwise. Take a second pair of shorts for that, though I'm planning to wash my kit on the Thursday before departure (from our cabane at Huttopia) on the Friday for 200km to Caen. Limits on volume/weight one can carry from home to Rambouillet and ride with homewards after the ride (wearing one's PBP top?) mean choices have to be made (kitchen sink option?).

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Will you be (would you plan to be) riding back in bib tights to a French port in 22+ degrees? No, I didn't think so, clean or otherwise. Take a second pair of shorts for that, though I'm planning to wash my kit on the Thursday before departure (from our cabane at Huttopia) on the Friday for 200km to Caen. Limits on volume/weight one can carry from home to Rambouillet and ride with homewards after the ride (wearing one's PBP top?) mean choices have to be made (kitchen sink option?).

Exactly I will be taking a second set of shorts and top as I explained to you in my above post. There is no need to decide before you ride down, you can take both if you want, whichever you don't wear you can wear on the way back. Unless you have access to a washing machine you really won't get your PBP kit clean and even then it may need two or more washes.

I won't be taking big tights but I'm not the one who suggested they might, you are. I'll be taking both bib shorts and ordinary shorts. The shorts being used outside of the event, including riding there and back.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Memories of a certain Mark who, in 95 I think, forgot his leg warmers. When |I encountered him part-way round he had squeezed his legs into arm-warmers to just above the knee, with an un-alluring roll of blue flesh between those and his shorts. At least he wasn't wearing the arm-warmers his beloved aunt knitted for him. They were bright yellow and very woolly.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
@Heltor Chasca Will now be glad to know I am packed for the ride down to France. A rack pack for the event, plus a pannier for stuff either side of the event itself. Tyres pumped. Just need to oil the chain and adjust brakes to bring the pads in a little. Once that's done time for a shower and shave, then fish and chips tonight. Setting off on the ride down tomorrow.

Nebulous

Guru
With motorised transport support you have the luxury of taking stuff and deciding on the (rainy) day. Did you include an umbrella (for the bike check queue)?

Like leg warmers until 24 hours ago, I don’t possess such a thing. I have motorised transport to the start and for my two weeks holiday afterwards - for the bit in the middle I’m on my own.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
@Heltor Chasca Will now be glad to know I am packed for the ride down to France. A rack pack for the event, plus a pannier for stuff either side of the event itself. Tyres pumped. Just need to oil the chain and adjust brakes to bring the pads in a little. Once that's done time for a shower and shave, then fish and chips tonight. Setting off on the ride down tomorrow.

Just going for a lie down. I can’t handle this stress. (Best of luck btw:okay:)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Enjoy the event. Despite qualifying I'm unable to ride as I'm supporting my son at the Irish youth nationals: I didn't convert the registration to 'final' so was one of the 1500 or so places that became available.

Top Bottom