Paris-Brest-Paris 18-22 August 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Suppose next week I'd better assemble some stuff to take.

I just started assembling some kit.

^_^ You two wind me up. I’m doing a quick DIY 200 on the 17th and I’m packed!

Nebulous

Guru
I changed my chain, fitted a new tyre and bled my brakes today. Bike leaves on Tuesday and I follow on Thursday. Biggest question is whether I pack a pair of bib tights or go for shorts only. That decision can be deferred until Sunday.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Listened to a bit of the latest Transcontinental Race podcast today. Fiona Kolbinger is not only doing PBP (apparently she's looking forward to enjoying a more leisurely ride…!!!), she'll be riding to the start from Brest. Extraordinary. Well, more extraordinary.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I changed my chain, fitted a new tyre and bled my brakes today. Biggest question is whether I pack a pair of bib tights or go for shorts only.
New chain (with 100+km on it now), 12-25 cassette with 1928km on it, new rear tyre (GP4000), new rim tape on both wheels, newish rear brake blocks, new FD cable.
Everyone's different but I think bib tights would be much less flexible than shorts and knee warmers (which is what I'll have). I am riding over so have to make these sorts of decisions before (Devon) departure: I cannot leave it till 'next Sunday'. In many ways this (forced decision) is a good thing. My choice would only be between knee warmers and leg warmers. Knee warmers were good enough for me on the overnight of the Easter Arrow, but YMMV. Similar issue is overboots (given the rain we'll enjoy) versus toe thingies, versus nothing. Given the rain is warm and I'm planning to be sleeping most of the cooler dark hours (apart from riding through Sunday night), I think I'll be going for 'nothing'.
I just hope that there'll be a decent percentage of mudguarded wheels to follow.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru

Nebulous

Guru
New chain (with 100+km on it now), 12-25 cassette with 1928km on it, new rear tyre (GP4000), new rim tape on both wheels, newish rear brake blocks, new FD cable.
Everyone's different but I think bib tights would be much less flexible than shorts and knee warmers (which is what I'll have). I am riding over so have to make these sorts of decisions before (Devon) departure: I cannot leave it till 'next Sunday'. In many ways this (forced decision) is a good thing. My choice would only be between knee warmers and leg warmers. Knee warmers were good enough for me on the overnight of the Easter Arrow, but YMMV. Similar issue is overboots (given the rain we'll enjoy) versus toe thingies, versus nothing. Given the rain is warm and I'm planning to be sleeping most of the cooler dark hours (apart from riding through Sunday night), I think I'll be going for 'nothing'.
I just hope that there'll be a decent percentage of mudguarded wheels to follow.

I fitted new gear cables and bar tape about 300 miles ago. I don't possess knee or leg warmers - although I should, I couldn't believe how useful arm warmers were when I bought them. If it stays in double figures centigrade I wont need them. I had intended packing overshoes. I have mudguards- but you'll be well ahead of me, so they wont benefit you!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If it stays in double figures centigrade I wont need them.

It is considerably colder at night even with forecast temps of double figures, as you do not get warmed by solar radiation. It feels especially colder if you are tired after a couple of days of riding. If it ia night time and raining it'll feel even colder.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Everyone's different but I think bib tights would be much less flexible than shorts and knee warmers (which is what I'll have). I am riding over so have to make these sorts of decisions before (Devon) departure: I cannot leave it till 'next Sunday'.

You can if you take both with you. Your PBP kit will stink by the end of the event so best to have some other kit to change into when you finish. A bag of stuff you leave in Rambouillet works perfectly for this. Nice clean kit for riding back in.

Ivo

Over the past 2 weeks I changed a few items on my bike
-chain
-cassette
-tyres/tubes
-brakeblocks
-rear cablestopper for the shifter cable.
The bike runs like clockwork again.

Regarding clothing choices. I'll settle for the combination of kneewarmers and long skiing socks (+short socks to alternate) and oversocks. If it's wet or really cold, I'll add the rainlegs.
Compared to earlier editions the weather forecast looks quite balmy.

Top Bottom