Paris - Nice 2016 **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Can't they just put some arm warmers on and let a bit of air out of the tyres? Wimps.

That wouldn't stop me riding. Not even as if they'd have to contend with school kids chucking snowballs at them, like I'd have to :laugh:

SWSteve

Guru
Ah, it would appear Vichot did as much cycling as I have today.

It would appear I will not be doing too well in the punditry

If you abandoned on a stage which gets cancelled is there an argument to restart again ? Some of those DNF'rs must be kicking themselves now !

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Ah, it would appear Vichot did as much cycling as I have today.

It would appear I will not be doing too well in the punditry
You showed some flair. I'll maybe give you an extra point (unless it means you overtake me...)

oldroadman

Veteran
The organisers and commissaires made the correct decision. Everyone on the race was at risk, not just riders. Interesting comment about abandoned riders. As the stage was nullified it technically did not happen but points scored were kept, not time bonuses. There is a case to allow DNF to restart, a tricky decision for the commissaires.
So far as the stage 2 sprint was concerned, NB closed Matthews down, stuck his elbow out to obstruct progress, everything about his actions in the last 100 metres was "irregular". Correct decision, but I wish people on TV would stop using the word "disqualified" (Eurosport!!). NB was relegated, in line with UCI rules, to last of the group he was in, which just happened to be the leading 3, as a gap of 1 second separated them from the bulk of the remaining peloton.
So NB is third, and fined 200 Swiss. At this point of the season had the commissaires not acted it may have been a signal for mayhem in sprints for a while, with a danger of someone getting badly hurt by the more "exotic" style sprinters. It's tricky enough as it is without antics as seen at the end of stage 2. NB knew exactly what he did, and all the protesting to media is just being a bit "French" in France.

beastie

Guru
The organisers and commissaires made the correct decision. Everyone on the race was at risk, not just riders. Interesting comment about abandoned riders. As the stage was nullified it technically did not happen but points scored were kept, not time bonuses. There is a case to allow DNF to restart, a tricky decision for the commissaires.
So far as the stage 2 sprint was concerned, NB closed Matthews down, stuck his elbow out to obstruct progress, everything about his actions in the last 100 metres was "irregular". Correct decision, but I wish people on TV would stop using the word "disqualified" (Eurosport!!). NB was relegated, in line with UCI rules, to last of the group he was in, which just happened to be the leading 3, as a gap of 1 second separated them from the bulk of the remaining peloton.
So NB is third, and fined 200 Swiss. At this point of the season had the commissaires not acted it may have been a signal for mayhem in sprints for a while, with a danger of someone getting badly hurt by the more "exotic" style sprinters. It's tricky enough as it is without antics as seen at the end of stage 2. NB knew exactly what he did, and all the protesting to media is just being a bit "French" in France.

Spot on bit of punditry there @oldroadman.

I believe a spot on Eurosport should be yours!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Correct decision, but I wish people on TV would stop using the word "disqualified" (Eurosport!!).
Eurosport just quoted ASO's offficial twitter which said "disqualified" (they displayed the tweet on-screen). So not entirely Eurosport's fault - more Garbage In = Garbage Out.

I think I edited my post to put "/relegated" but they can't do that on twitter.

Top Bottom