Paris or Normandy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piers Gambarini

I am a fairly new cyclist and looking to cycle to either Paris or Normandy towards the end of August.

I have never done a solo cycle before and was wondering if anyone has hints, tips, good routes, idea of kit needed and how far I can reasonably expect to cycle everyday etc.

I have recently bought quite a good bike and thought that I would put it to some use especially if we are going to have some good weather!!

Thanks

Piers

belairman

For me, Normandy definitely. Beautiful countryside, good food, and cider, lots of quiet backroads and security less of an issue. Also history if you want it, lots of D-Day stuff and also Bayeux. Surprisingly hilly in places though.

Have been to Paris, beautiful city, but I can't imagine cycling in Paris would be any kind of fun at all.

That's my view anyway!

Re distance I am building up to 50 miles a day but then mine is a very "linear" project (see (Am I Mad?" below). Stopping off a lot, and tuoring round, you wouldn't notice 25-30 miles a day, but put some training in first.

Cheers Tim

We did London - Paris a few weeks ago.

French part was just about due south from Calais to Paris. We did that leg which was about 190 miles in 2 days but I would recommed taking a bit longer.

Getting into Paris was a nightmare and we got lost. Drivers were really really bad even compared to London a few days before.
On the plus side, the Paris bit is only the last 10 miles and you can jump on the Eurostar and be home that night!

I have not cycled in Normandy but been there by car quite a few times. Really like the area and could see it as being a nice area to tour.
Really the two are chalk and cheese - bit like saying cycle to London or Wales. Paris is the good "been there" destination and to see the Eiffel Tower in the distance was great. But to soak up the landscape in a great part of the world I would go for Normandy.
In fact thinking about it I would look at going from say Caen West to the Atlantic coast. Nice to aim for something.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I've cycled in Normandy and it's a pleasure. Some good hills, wonderful houses, scenery, food etc.

Hopefully cycling to Paris the week after next. I've cycled round Paris and found it very straightforward and felt very safe.

If I had to choose, I'd do Normandy as my first tour and then Paris in September when I'd been bitten by the bug.

Reefman

I have cycled in Normandy,it is fantastic,get the Fast Cat from Portsmouth to Cherbourg cycle round the coast to Cain and catch the ferry Back to Pompey ,Loads to see,fantastic cycling friendly people.We didn't even book accomodation just blagged it finding geits (B&;) in towns as we went.
Matt

Billloudon

Normandy, no debate.
It's just beautiful. The scenery, the people, the food and the wine.
I have "done" the landing beaches 3 times now. We set up in Bayeux and the normal run is about 40ish miles a day. Dead easy.

Top Bottom