Paris - Roubaix 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Paul139 wish you had not posted this, I mentioned it to my daughter and she really wanted to do this course and twisted my arm. Now its a Daddy, Daughter trip. I have organised it the lazy way and going on a package deal, travel, hotel and food where they take us to vantage points on the pro race as well. See you there or maybe before as you are not far away and every cycle club in Essex seems to go past my house on the weekend.
I am going on my old carbon for the course fairly comfy, aluminium may rattle the teeth out of my head.

OP
OP
Paul139

Paul139

Veteran
@HarryTheDog Hehe, all part of the service :okay:
I'm making a bit of an adventure of it. We will drive to Ashford on the Friday the day before,get on Eurotunnel and drive to Lille where we have booked a hotel for three nights. I've booked the sportive and coach transfer to the start via the official website. Should be fun if that's the right word!
Let us know how you get on.

@Paul139 We are catching a coach from Lakeside on the Friday back on the Monday so similiar. Just got to choose which wheels and tyres. Probably Aluminium wheels instead of carbon. Probably conti 4 seasons, I have vittorio cx paves but I find they do puncture quite easily. I dont expect my time to set any records, I am just aiming to survive. I'll let you know how we get on.

U

User169

It's not an especially hard ride - I've found the Tour of Flanders and LBL sportives more challenging.

However, I rode it on a dry and reasonable warm day - in the wet and cold it would be a totally different!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Exactly @Milkfloat How hard can it be?

I tend to go into these things with a positive attitude and let reality bite me when it is too late to back out.

A good report to whet the appitite: http://www.sportive.com/paris-roubaix/513241/white-knuckle-ride-parisroubaix-challenge-2014-report

OP
OP
Paul139

Paul139

Veteran
On the subject of tyres I was thinking of Marathon Plus 28's. Maybe not fast but should be tough. Only concern is ease of getting on and off rim on the side of the road. Thoughts?

At 750g for the marathons and 250g for the Conti 4 seasons in 28mm you may be compromising speed a little but once up to speed there is always the fly wheel effect. If new marathons I doubt if they would puncture though . I have marathon 32c at 900g on my cross bike, acceleration is a chore but once youre rolling you feel unstoppable and in control of a crushing tank, cant say the grip is that awe inspiring in the wet even at 32c.
Its going to be a compromise as tyres always are, you can have light, fast, grippy and awseome puncture protection just not all in the same tyre.

aguppy

Vittoria Pave CG 111 are the way to go...25 or 27......me and my wife managed both the Flanders and the Roubaix without any trouble:becool:

@aguppy I tried the Vittoria Paves a couple of years ago ( 24 mm I think) they were a beautiful rolls royce ride but I killed the front in 5 miles. It completely split after hitting a bit of broken bottle, then I killed the rear a week later it got cut to bits by flints then split open as well with the inner tube poking out. Maybe I was unlucky but I dont trust them now. I have been looking at the conti 4 seasons in 28mm which I already have ( they get torn up by flints around here as well but dont puncture or split) or maybe some Challenge Paris roubaix, they are heavier than the Vittorias so thinking they may be tougher.
My daughter is sticking with the conti's at 25mm as she did the JOGGLE on them, no punctures at all.
You doing Roubaix this april?

aguppy

Ive not had any trouble with a few pairs over the last few winters Yes.....last time did the middle one....this time has persuaded my wife to do the full 50km of cobbles.....going over for the week before to get some practice in:okay:

Top Bottom