parkrun is back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I wouldn't mind giving it a go - but I would have to walk it - my knees get dodgy if I try running - hence cycling!!!

I would ride there and back and I walk at a fair speed (for walking) so still use some energy
Come to Marlborough!! And there are always plenty of walkers so you wouldn’t be alone

I found cycling to the event makes an excellent warmup/down (better than other things I've tried with running :rolleyes: )
When I first tried them, it was the only way I could have got to the nearest (5 miles away). Apart from walking there, I guess!
Oddly, having one on my doorstep now has taken some of the fun away :P (I have actually stopped running for other reasons - and I never really got into it big time. Managed one "proper" event, a hilly 10k. Parkrun was cool though! )

Quite a few people cycled to that one, so I felt quite welcome.

steverob

Guru
Disliked running, but loved parkrun!

While I've sworn off running for the foreseeable (screwed up my ankles something chronic), I still do have my parkrun barcode on my key ring out of force of habit and would quite happily go down there a few times a year to volunteer anyway. I've been a marshall, timekeeper, token hander-outer, barcode scanner and one time they persuaded me to be a lead rider on my bike, which was quite fun!

My only problem was that I like a bit of a lie-in at the weekends and getting to my local parkrun required me to get out of bed at the same time I would on a normal weekday, so it was very easy for me to skip a week by hitting the snooze button. If I was in charge I'd put a handful of events back to 9:30 or 10:00 each week, just for people like me.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
This is amazing news, I have missed it terribly!
I may have to start looking at performance though if we're back to playing that game :laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Unlike running Parkrun is actually fun. Aside from the fact that my local one always starts at least 10 minutes late which is no good when you jog down and then freeze whilst waiting for it to start, it is honestly the most fun you an have with a broad church of people. I have never seen conflict and everyone cheers each other on, from the fastest to the slowest and everyone in between.

I have never seen conflict
Have you looked on their Facebook page??

Milzy

Guru
I know this is a cycling forum but a number of us also love running...and I suspect some might like parkrun too. Anyway...it's back on June 5th and I am TEARY with excitement. I'm on the core team for our local parkrun and it has been the loveliest thing to get involved with. Such a great community event. I cannot wait for this lovely snippet of normality to be back again on June 5th!
As an ex runner I must have done almost 100 but now my daughter likes to show up the older children at Junior park run. Will be silly busy for a while when it’s back. Looking forward to it.

stephec

Legendary Member
Wouldn't put money on any date yet, the timescales given are all "no earlier than" (something the press are ignoring) and the lifting of lockdown elements could be later.
This.

I'm on our local core team and we got the advance warning last night, it's 'planning to be back'.

Although looking at the response on our Facebook page today everyone has it as a nailed on certainty, it's three months away which is a long time at the moment.

stephec

Legendary Member
I wouldn't mind giving it a go - but I would have to walk it - my knees get dodgy if I try running - hence cycling!!!

I would ride there and back and I walk at a fair speed (for walking) so still use some energy

The volunteer tailwalkers are like a broom wagon, they are the ones who are always officially recorded in last place, which at ours is usually between 55 minutes to an hour.

Reactions: C R
Announcement on the podcast:

Global chief operating officer Tom Williams told the Free Weekly Timed podcast that parkrun could have returned sooner than the planned date, but caution was being applied.

“Clearly, I don’t think many people would disagree, it would be inappropriate at the very beginning of April which is only a few weeks away, for a couple of thousand people to be gathered etc, big crowds of adults would not be acceptable in just a few weeks’ time,” he said, adding there were plans for parkrun’s junior event to return on April 11.

“We don’t think it’d be the right thing at that point. We don’t think it would be appropriate to bring 5k parkrun back as part of Step One in the roadmap; Step Two comes in quite soon after that, and again, a thousand people in a park wouldn’t feel particularly right with the limitations around weddings and funerals.

“However, on May 17, when we hope Step Three will start, there’s a real step change in what people can and can’t do and part of that is outdoor events with up to 4,000 people. What we also want to see is other types of events, festivals, concerts, whatever it might be, operating at bigger numbers to make people feel more comfortable about parkrun.

“Step Three is where we feel it would be most appropriate for 5k parkrun to come back in England. The first Saturday is the 22nd of May but Step Three may not be confirmed until the 10th of May and we feel that 12-day gap is a bit small if we have to alter things.

“We are going back two weeks to Saturday June 5 to give us four weeks, and it is our ambition and hope that from June 5 that parkrun will return across England.”

Top Bottom