parkrun is back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I know this is a cycling forum but a number of us also love running...and I suspect some might like parkrun too.
Nice to see them exercising even if it mystifies me why anyone wants to pound their joints going less far than a nice bike ride.

I wish they wouldn't run full width along the cycleways, though. I have to remember to go another way while they're hogging it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We get some dog walkers like that, ours starts on a disused railway line so is a bit congested at first.

When it's pointed out to them that it's clear if they walk past five minutes later we sometimes get the attitude of, 'it's my right to walk here whenever I want so that's what I' ll do.'. 😂
The local here seems to do laps, so is not clear five minutes later. I just avoid that park whichever morning it is, if I remember.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Nice to see them exercising even if it mystifies me why anyone wants to pound their joints going less far than a nice bike ride.

I wish they wouldn't run full width along the cycleways, though. I have to remember to go another way while they're hogging it.
I've got a list (I'll put it on here one day - if I ever find it) of 20 things that make running better than cycling and 20 things that make cycling better than running. As a proponent of both, I can't say if one definitively tops the other OBjectively (I know what the general consensus on that would be on here) and I'm just glad I can still do both but SUBjectively I'd go for running overall.

I've got a list (I'll put it on here one day - if I ever find it) of 20 things that make running better than cycling and 20 things that make cycling better than running. As a proponent of both, I can't say if one definitively tops the other OBjectively (I know what the general consensus on that would be on here) and I'm just glad I can still do both but SUBjectively I'd go for running overall.
BAN HIM !!!

PaulB

Legendary Member
Yes I sometimes end up going round part of the 5k park run if I forget it’s running and what time it starts. It’s less bother than those dog walkers with stupid 40 metre leads.
We have two people who run with their dogs tied to their waists and they're decent runners so always at the sharp end. If you want to overtake, you have to wait for a wide enough part of the path or jump. Several times though, I've seen one or the other dog stop abruptly to evacuate its bowels and the dog's on one side of the path and runner on the other so it causes no end if disruption as people have to wait for the bloody thing or queue up to go round them.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member

I don't know what I'd pick if I HAD to choose. I love them both. I think I'll be able to cycle further into old age than I'll be able to run so I guess I'd go with cycling but I would be heartbroken.

Moodyman

Legendary Member

If the purpose is exercise, then agree that running gives a greater workout and better gains. It's also less equipment driven.

But cycling is more enjoyable and can be a great transport.

Moodyman

Legendary Member

One of the myths recycled by non runners. Yes, some people get joint issues who happen to run and they may give up running because of the joint pain. But it's not the running that caused the joint issues, these people could be walkers, swimmers or whatever.

In fact, running can help joint issues and increase bone density. It's all in the technique.

When you've developed a good rhythm and fitness level, running can feel hypnotic, natural and effortless. Runners high, look it up.

Last edited:
Good morning,

...... It's also less equipment driven.....
You piqued my interest, so just out of curiosity I did a search for

best running shorts the first article returned was
Best men’s running shorts for speedier 5Ks

Even best running socks returns up to date articles.
The 12 Best and Most Comfortable Socks for Runners
We tested dozens of pairs. These are the ones worthy of a spot in your drawer.

So I had better get back to what I am supposed to be doing before I search for best wrist sweat bands for runners,
15 Best Wrist Sweatbands: Buyer's Guide (2020)
oh drat

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Bye

Ian

PaulB

Legendary Member
Marketing ruins everything. But running should be the cheapest entry point for exercise.
The average runner doesn’t need specific socks or shorts.
The only thing I would recommend is spending money on decent shoes.
Or like Zola Budd or Ron Hill in his prime, you can run barefoot. You can't ride bare cycled.

Top Bottom