parkrun is back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Good morning,

You piqued my interest, so just out of curiosity I did a search for

best running shorts the first article returned was
Best men’s running shorts for speedier 5Ks

Even best running socks returns up to date articles.
The 12 Best and Most Comfortable Socks for Runners
We tested dozens of pairs. These are the ones worthy of a spot in your drawer.

So I had better get back to what I am supposed to be doing before I search for best wrist sweat bands for runners,
15 Best Wrist Sweatbands: Buyer's Guide (2020)
oh drat

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Bye

Ian
So it is my poor choice of shorts that is stopping me running further then, not my age, lack of inclination to train harder and VO2 max ceiling?

Marketing ruins everything. But running should be the cheapest entry point for exercise.
The average runner doesn’t need specific socks or shorts.
The only thing I would recommend is spending money on decent shoes.
You need to try wild swimming (au naturel).

potsy

Rambler
We have two people who run with their dogs tied to their waists and they're decent runners so always at the sharp end. If you want to overtake, you have to wait for a wide enough part of the path or jump. Several times though, I've seen one or the other dog stop abruptly to evacuate its bowels and the dog's on one side of the path and runner on the other so it causes no end if disruption as people have to wait for the bloody thing or queue up to go round them.
Very weird, not long after reading your post this popped up as a FB memory, not sure it was a park run but a similar occasion ^_^

PaulB

Legendary Member
Here's the list I did - not exhaustive by any means but it's what I have learned over the years. It has to be pointed out though that I am a born runner who took up cycling due to injuries so there is some bias but I have done lots of both so see the benefits and drawbacks of each one.

Attachments

• Reasons Running is better than Cycling.docx
    113.6 KB · Views: 4

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Good morning,

You piqued my interest, so just out of curiosity I did a search for

best running shorts the first article returned was
Best men’s running shorts for speedier 5Ks

Even best running socks returns up to date articles.
The 12 Best and Most Comfortable Socks for Runners
We tested dozens of pairs. These are the ones worthy of a spot in your drawer.

So I had better get back to what I am supposed to be doing before I search for best wrist sweat bands for runners,
15 Best Wrist Sweatbands: Buyer's Guide (2020)
oh drat

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Bye

Ian
Dammit, now you've got me doing a search to find out what ARE the speediest shorts for 5k :laugh:

Here's the list I did - not exhaustive by any means but it's what I have learned over the years. It has to be pointed out though that I am a born runner who took up cycling due to injuries so there is some bias but I have done lots of both so see the benefits and drawbacks of each one.
a brave man! But good work. I might dissect it more thoroughly later. Immediate thoughts:
I got to point 7 before I found a downright falsehood.
I liked your opening "cycling" bullet point:
  • Cycling is more glamorous.
👍

Last edited:

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
I just turned on the goggle box only for that annoying bloater Piers Morgan saying runners should wear a mask when running. My opinion is either you move away when approching pedestrians or they do, its quite simple.

Its impossible to run with a mask

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I just turned on the goggle box only for that annoying bloater Piers Morgan saying runners should wear a mask when running. My opinion is either I move away when approching pedestrians or they do, its quite simple.

Its impossible to run with a mask
It was actually a professor from Oxford University who said it.
They mentioned feeling the breath on your face, which is a bit silly.
Put this is what Parkrun organisers are worried about. We all jog in close proximity to other runners. keeping 2m apart would be impossible at the start and very difficult during the race and at the finish.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
One of the myths recycled by non runners.
It's a myth? So running is impactless? :laugh:

Yes, some people get joint issues who happen to run and they may give up running because of the joint pain. But it's not the running that caused the joint issues, these people could be walkers, swimmers or whatever.
I never said it caused them.

In fact, running can help joint issues and increase bone density. It's all in the technique.
Oh yes, I am sure that everyone with joint problems inflamed by running are all shoot at running.

When you've developed a good rhythm and fitness level, running can feel hypnotic, natural and effortless. Runners high, look it up.
Yeah, you would need to be getting high to do something so dull and slow by choice more than once!

PaulB

Legendary Member
World Naked Bike Ride, or whatever it is called.
But you need a bike for that. You can run shoeless as many of our ancient ancestors would be only to willing to confirm. If they weren't prevented from doing so by these Covid restrictions.

Top Bottom